• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Release Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmheat

What is the name of your state? NV

My attorney botched my Personal Injury Case and now wants to pay me XXX to end any claim I have against him. He has given me a release to sign. Can someone review it and tell me if there are any hidden clauses involved. I just want to get paid from him and put closure to this. I also want to make sure the he cannot file any legal causes against me.

Release: For the sole consideration Of $XXX, receipt of which I acknowledge, I fully and forever release and discharge XXXXX who might be liable from all claims for all damages which I have sustained as the result of any Atty/Client relationship relative to my claim against xxx.

By executing this release I agree that this applies to all my claims arising from said relationship.
I agree that if more than one person has executed this release, the consideration paid shall aptly apply to all such persons. I further agree that any claim of whatever kind or nature the above named parties might have is hereby expressly reserved to them.

I understand this release contains the entire agreement. I have carefully read, and know the contents, and I sign as my own free act. I acknowledge that this is an important document and by signing I am forever giving up valuable rights.

Anyone please advise is this is ok to sign.

Thank You

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please release me, let me go,
For I don't want you as my attorney anymore.
To live a lie would be a sin.
Let's sign a "Mutual Release" and let me go, again.

I have found a new attorney, dear, to sue you, dear.
And I will always want her near, unless we sign a "Mutual Release"
Her lips are warm where yours are cold.
Release me, and I'll release you, Mr. Attorney, let me go.

IAAL

JETX

If in fact you feel that the compensation offered is fair for whatever claim you have, go ahead and sign. If you want another opinion, take the offer and your facts to another local attorney for review.

J

jmheat

I don't understand what if any claims my attorney could have against me? Can you explain?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
If in fact you feel that the compensation offered is fair for whatever claim you have, go ahead and sign. If you want another opinion, take the offer and your facts to another local attorney for review.
My response:

JetX, the writer's concern was - -

"I also want to make sure the he cannot file any legal causes against me."

And, as I tried to "telegraph" to the writer, which apparently our writer didn't pick up on, was the fact that I was suggesting a "Mutual Release of All Claims"; i.e., the writer and attorney release each other.

As it stands now, this is a one-sided release, allowing the attorney to move forward with any claims he/she might have against our writer.

IAAL

JETX

IAAL, actually there were TWO questions involved.

"Can someone review it and tell me if there are any hidden clauses involved."
*** That was the one that I was answering.

*** And that was the one that you answered.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
IAAL, actually there were TWO questions involved.

"Can someone review it and tell me if there are any hidden clauses involved."
*** That was the one that I was answering.

*** And that was the one that you answered.

My response:

There may have been two questions, but asking us to "review it and tell me if there are any hidden clauses involved" is completely tangential to the ISSUE which was to "make sure the he cannot file any legal causes against me."

Had our writer just signed the Release as it exists, and as you suggest, how does that answer the ISSUE of whether "he cannot file any legal causes against me"?

It doesn't.

IAAL

JETX

"If you want another opinion, take the offer and your facts to another local attorney for review."
*** One of the reasons I suggested that was that I think it unlikely for a layperson to be able to properly execute a "Mutual Release of All Claims"..... and that the writer already suspects the attorney so that would eliminate asking him to create one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">