• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car auctioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

petpeevile

What is the name of your state? washington
last year my car which was almost payed off was sold at a auction. My boyfriend at the time was pulled over and the car was taken away because he was driving on a suspended. At the time I had been missing for 3 months due to mental illness. Is my boyfriend liable or do I have to write this off as bad luck?

mykoleary

petpeevile said:
What is the name of your state? washington
last year my car which was almost payed off was sold at a auction. My boyfriend at the time was pulled over and the car was taken away because he was driving on a suspended. At the time I had been missing for 3 months due to mental illness. Is my boyfriend liable or do I have to write this off as bad luck?
Bad luck.

In WA, driving with a suspended means the car you are driving is gone. Doesn't matter if it's yours or not. The owner is responsible for making sure their car is not driven by a person with a suspended license.

Better luck next time...

JETX

Your post says that you were 'missing' at the time. This leads me to ask..... did your boyfriend have your permission to drive the car?? Or did you have knowledge that he was driving the car??

if no to either of the above, I would suggest you consider filing a small claim (presumably) action against him. The court may well side with you and render a judgment against him for your 'damages' (value of vehicle). The question would then become.... how likely is it that you could collect from this deadbeat??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">