• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abrown88

What is the name of your state? Texas
Verbal agreement with coworker to sell her my 91 Dodge Caravan one of two ways: 1)She would borrow the money from her dad & pay cash or 2)She would make monthly payments until she received her tax refund at which time she would pay off van. Dad wouldn't let her borrow money & tax return received & now she refuses to pay. No proof of insurance despite numerous requests. She said we have a written agreement although the only thing I signed was in August 2003 stating I had received her first month payment. Attempted to have van repossessed but police made repo guy drop the van. Title & registration is in my name & am concerned about liability. Coworker refuses to talk to me or return my van. Do I have any options here?

Thanks!

JETX

"Attempted to have van repossessed but police made repo guy drop the van."
*** Why??

"Do I have any options here?"
*** Of course. Since the title is in your name and you know where she parks the car, get a key and drive it to a safe and secure location (where she can't get at it.... storage unit works great). Call the police immediately after and let them know that you have repossessed the vehicle. Return ALL the property in the vehicle to the buyer. Give her written notice that she can recover the vehicle within 30 days by making payment in full.

A

abrown88

Thank you for your reply. The extra key to the van has been lost and that's why I hired an individual to repo the vehicle. Now that the local police made him drop it, she's hiding the van and I have no idea where it is. I don't know that the police gave the repo guy an explanation, they simply told him he had to leave it where it was. I believe they said something about it being a civil matter. I've tried to call local dealerships to see if they could cut a key using the VIN number but was told they only go back 10 years. Key wouldn't do me any good at this point since I don't know where the van is located. Would it help if I contact the police department or local Justice of the Peace? I do appreciate your input.

JETX

"The extra key to the van has been lost and that's why I hired an individual to repo the vehicle."
*** Contact a dealer for the vehicle and ask if they can make a key. Most of them can if you show them the title. Better if you have the paperwork with the key number on it.

"Now that the local police made him drop it, she's hiding the van and I have no idea where it is."
*** Keep looking. Heck, since you both work at the same place, maybe you can follow her.

"I don't know that the police gave the repo guy an explanation, they simply told him he had to leave it where it was."
*** Sounds like they didn't have the paperwork to repo..

"I believe they said something about it being a civil matter."
*** Of course it is.... not sufficient to drop the hook though....

"Would it help if I contact the police department or local Justice of the Peace?"
*** Police? no. JP? Only if you do so to file a small claims action against the buyer for breaching the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">