• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander or just really bad Customer Service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

senorchupacabra

What is the name of your state? IL

I was at my local video store(nat'l. chain) about 2 months ago and was checking out when the person at the register brought something to my attention. There was a note on my account that accused me of, and I quote, "being a real *******." I really couldn't believe what I was reading on the screen so I asked the person to print it and I have a copy of the receipt now. I contacted the store manager who got to the bottom of the situation and said appropriate action was taken against the individual responsible for the entry. I went back into the store and the person was still working there and I seem to be getting very strange and somewhat threatening looks from that person. I've had to change my rental habits and go to another store where the selection is terrible and it's not convenient to my home.

Have my rights been violated in any way and do I have any legal recourse in this situation? Also, what responsibility does the store have in reprimanding their employee and making the situation comfortable for me?

Thank you for your help.

S

senorchupacabra

Thank you for your help Liable. You've really enlightened me.

S

senorchupacabra

Liable if you are incapable of answering the question from an educated standpoint then I understand and dismiss your ignorance. However, I've read your responses in other threads and I doubt that's the case.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

senorchupacabra said:
Liable if you are incapable of answering the question from an educated standpoint then I understand and dismiss your ignorance. However, I've read your responses in other threads and I doubt that's the case.

My response:

You want to "dismiss my ignorance"? Okay, thank you. It's nice of you to do that for me.

However, my response to you stands. It's also obvious that I "hit the mark" with you because you're already turning out to be an argumentative person.

IAAL

S

senorchupacabra

Touche Liable, touche. Actually if you read through the thread the questions I asked were never answered just ignored with your sarcastic wit. It would seem that your sarcasm is really only a mask of your inability to answer any of the questions in an appropriate manner. Maybe it's your sarcasm and quick wit that you enjoy displaying more than your ability to answer real questions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

senorchupacabra said:
Touche Liable, touche. Actually if you read through the thread the questions I asked were never answered just ignored with your sarcastic wit. It would seem that your sarcasm is really only a mask of your inability to answer any of the questions in an appropriate manner. Maybe it's your sarcasm and quick wit that you enjoy displaying more than your ability to answer real questions.

My response:

You MUST be a transplant from New York or New Jersey, because you have the very same argumentative nature as a New Yorker or New Jersean.

You have no "rights" in this situation. This is their opinion of you; they are constitutionally entitled to their opinion of you, and the store has obviously ratified the employee's opinion of you.

There is NO libel or slander because it's their TRUE feeling and belief about you. From the looks of your responses on this thread, it's apparently an accurate belief.

Get over it!

IAAL

S

senorchupacabra

Thank you for finally answering my original questions. I have a better understanding of the situation now. I originally posted this thread to try and better understand the situation and my rights. My only concern was that other members of my family still frequent the store and since there was a "note" on my master account I wasn't sure how they would be treated or how I could legally deal with their mistreatment if it came up.

Thank you again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

senorchupacabra said:
Thank you for finally answering my original questions. I have a better understanding of the situation now. I originally posted this thread to try and better understand the situation and my rights. My only concern was that other members of my family still frequent the store and since there was a "note" on my master account I wasn't sure how they would be treated or how I could legally deal with their mistreatment if it came up.

Thank you again.

My response:

Well, what do you know! You can actually keep a civil tongue in your mouth! You're probably doing everything you can to "hold back". The strain must be killing you!

The rest of your family will undoubtedly be treated with the same distain, hatred, and loathing as yourself.

IAAL

Last edited:
L

littlelaw

Yeah, it's not libel.

Even if it weren't per se true, it seems like you would have a hard time proving the essential elements of libel.

Torts wasn't my *favorite* class, but I think to prove libel the plaintiff needs to prove:

1.. The statement was published
2. The libel was "of and concerning" the plaintiff
3. The statement was false and damaging to reputation
4. The plaintiff was injured
5. The defendant was at fault

It would probably be hard to prove substantial damage to reputation.

I would definitely write them a letter though about their atrocious customer service...who knows, you might even get some free rentals... 21 grams comes out on DVD on March 16th!

:p

S

senorchupacabra

Thank you littlelaw for your input. I actually do have a receipt with the egregious statement on it and it has the employee ID # and when he entered the info. Also, it seemed that the damage to my reputation would be something of an internal thing seeing as how only the employees would have access to the statement. However, it's because of this reason that I feel like the employee "marked" me for future reference. All I can say is that the assumption I can make from the action the employee took was that he was trying to have some negative impact on my future dealings with the vendor. Does this constitute anything close to libel?

Thanks again for your input, I do appreciate it very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">