• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jimmy K.

Can I be sued by an individual if I wrote a letter to the editor of a local paper using his first name only? This person thinks it's him but it is really not. However, there are a lot of similarities between him and the indivdual I wrote about including the first name. The comments in the letter are negative in nature.

JETX

"Can I be sued by an individual if I wrote a letter to the editor of a local paper using his first name only?"
*** Of course you can be sued. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.
However, based on your post, I doubt that his lawsuit would go very far. An answer to the suit by a competent attorney could stop the lawsuit from continuing.

J

Jimmy K.

slander

Below is what I wrote. My question is can this person sue me for saying what I said even if he's not the person I was talking about? "Another example of a fraud doesn't involve a service man or woman but instead a parent. This parent is a wannabe parent of a super hero instead of settling for being a proud parent of a proud serviceman. Bobby's son joined the Air Force a few years ago as an enlisted man in a non-combat non-flying status specialty. However, according to Bobby, his son was quickly re-trained and off on classified missions normally conducted by elite forces such as Delta Force, the Navy SEALS, the Army Special Forces, Marine Force Recon etc. The first change of assignment for Bobby's son took place just after PFC Jessica Lynch was rescued from the hospital in Iraq. According to Bobby his son was now being re-trained in highly classified search and rescue missions where he would be instrumental in extracting service men and women who were found in hopeless situations such as POW's, downed pilots etc. I found it hard to believe, to say the least, that a lower enlisted Airman would, in a couple of months, be trained for such missions where others in the elite forces would require years of training. However the kicker came not long after the kid supposedly completed such exhausting training and right after Saddam Hussein was captured. According to Bobby his boy was now being re-trained yet again! Bobby boasted that his boy was now on orders for interrogation and language training after which he would be reporting to Iraq where he would most likely be assigned to a team to interrogate the one and only Saddam Hussein. I have golfed with Bobby and now I know why he always insisted on keeping the scorecard. "

mykoleary

Re: slander

Jimmy K. said:
Below is what I wrote. My question is can this person sue me for saying what I said even if he's not the person I was talking about?
Above is what Jetx wrote. Did you even take the effort to read the advice given?? Your question has already been answered, please move along now (unless you have additional questions...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">