• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Law??? hmmmm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littlelaw

What is the name of your state? IL

Here's the conundrum:

quoth a Federal Statutory Law: "the period for institution of suits [is] to be computed from the day when the death or injury occurred."

quoth the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: “In computing any period of time prescribed or allowed by these rules, by the local rules of any district court, by order of the court, or by any applicable statutes, the day of the act, event or default from which the designated period of time begins to runs shall not be included.”

I'm confused
:confused:

Which method of computing time does the court go with? It's not an Eerie problem, because both are federal. It's not really a horizontal law conflict either.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
The Befuddled Law Student

HomeGuru

littlelaw said:
What is the name of your state? IL

Here's the conundrum:

quoth a Federal Statutory Law: "the period for institution of suits [is] to be computed from the day when the death or injury occurred."

quoth the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: “In computing any period of time prescribed or allowed by these rules, by the local rules of any district court, by order of the court, or by any applicable statutes, the day of the act, event or default from which the designated period of time begins to runs shall not be included.”

I'm confused
:confused:

Which method of computing time does the court go with? It's not an Eerie problem, because both are federal. It's not really a horizontal law conflict either.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
The Befuddled Law Student
**A: what?

R

Ramoth

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but this is my uneducated guess -

If I smack you upside the head with a baguette on March 1st, the SOL starts counting on March 2nd.

P

Pfaffing85690

And why are you not asking your law professor? We don't do homework on this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">