• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California resident incorporating in Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mediatech

I just finished my business plan outline and am ready to incorporate. I will be running a on line travel business focused in the State of North Carolina from California where I live.

I've chosen the State of Nevada over Delaware to incorporate because of the rock solid corporate liability factor.

Now I need to choose which corporate planning business to use to incorporate me.

I checked out legalzoom.com but I'm getting conflicting information about what's actually required to be a legitimate Nevada corporation. LegalZoom tells me I simply need a registered agent in Nevada versus leasing office space.

I've boiled it down to:
nchinc.com
companiesinc.com/protection.asp

I've aslo been told to check out:
https://www.corporate.com

Anyone have some good pointers? Do I need a California lawyer for filing as an Foreign Entity in the State of California or is this a simple process I can do like filing for a Federal Tax ID? I am looking through attorneypages.com to see what options there are.

Last edited:

A

APOInc

Incorporating in Nevada

Dear Gregory D. Remington,

Very nice website that you have developed. I have recently incorporated out of Nevada with NHC (February) and choose this over incorporating out of Delaware for the full liability converge as well as various other reason. Several corporations choose Nevada for the liability protection and privacy amenities. You don't have to report who's stock is issued to, except the IRS in Nevada as well. NHC offers an excellent package for privacy and liability purposes. In the articles of incorporating out of Nevada, with Article VIII, Directors and Officer's Liability, A director or officer of the corporation shall not be personally liable to this corporation or its stockholders for damages for breach of fiduciary duty as a director or officer, but this article shall not eliminate or limit the liability of a director or officer for (i)acts or omissions which involve intentional misconduct, fraud, or a knowing violation of law or (ii) the unlawful payment of distributions. Nevada is the only state that has this article included in incorporation. You want liability protection with your corporation, incorporate out of Nevada (bottom line).

I would like to advise you about setting up a living trust in addition to incorporating out of Nevada. When this is done properly, ownership is through the living trust while control is left in your hands. Make sure that the living trust is set up with an individual that will not pose as a threat (a Godchild or relative that will not attempt to stab you in the back). In the event of a law suite, ownership is covered through the living trust fund (your untouchable, your in control but not technically the owner) and because of article VIII your clear of liability. Talk about bulletproof!!! NHC also offers this service of setting up a trust as well as incorporating and are very experienced in setting this up for you. It will set you back about seven grand and some change but is well worth it.

If you really did your homework and research, I suspect it is possible to do this all on your own with $30-$50 worth of software that has all the official forms and pay an extra few hundred for the registration fees, but you wouldn't have a resident agent, nor the experience of setting up everything to be bulletproof.

With a Nevada corporation and resident agent working with you, you will be officially operating out of Nevada and will be filling all official forms for your business corporation from there. Check with your local state law about operating a corporation out of Nevada to make sure you do not have any responsibility of filling through the state of your residence, but I am fairly sure once you set up your corporation in Nevada, you will be operating business from there, under the guidelines and bylaws of incorporation out of Nevada for local, interstate and international commerce. California has a lot of funny state laws however, so do your homework. Emailing government sites for information costs you nothing. They will not offer you legal advice but will provide guidelines so your not completely in the dark.

I have done a bit of research into this but am not an attorney and will not be held responsible for this advice. I recommend you follow up with your own research and legal counsel before making any decisions about the direction you would like to take with your business endeavors.

Currently, I am verifying guidelines with SEC for issuing stock and have several questions of my own with my new corporation. Funny thing about the privacy amenities, when you go public with an IPO, it's real difficult to maintain the full level of privacy available as going public and having privacy do not fully go hand in hand. I am also seeking corporate alliance and considering appointing directors and officers with this newly found corporation.

If you are interested in negotiating an alliance or partnership that would be mutually beneficial, please contact me for further details.

M

mediatech

Great tips. Thank you.

I wish I had seven thousand for NCH to set up a living trust and all the other niceties. I think legalzoom.com may be the best and cheapest way to go for articles of incorporation or at least the living trust.

http://www.legalzoom.com/pricing/lt_pricing.html

It appears to me that Nevada based corporate planners are attempting to set themselves apart from services like LegalZoom and charge more by offering packages that include office space and related services for the sole purpose of tax benefits. I may go with NCH later when I can afford it simply because of their level of experience.

Always interested in forming alliances :)

Greg

W

wlatif

Question

Hi Greg,

I am trying to do the same as you "Run a website from ca and register the corp in NV"

Did you find out if you have to file as a foreign corp in CA to be able to run your website or no need for that since it is a home based business and it is a website with no direct interactions with CA customers? Also can you use your CA address on the site or you have to use NV address?

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

M

mediatech

Re: Question

I'm not 100% sure but from what I can tell in order to be legitimate with the IRS and avoid paying state taxes in CA as a Nevada corporate entity you need to have an office space, bank account and telephone number in Nevada.

There are many corporate planners in Nevada offering such services between 1,200.00 and 2,500.00/yr. You basically get a cubicle with a Nevada business license, telephone number with forwarding, and a secretary that answers your calls. They also provide conference rooms if you need them.

I need to run this all by a CPA and lawyer in CA before I take a penny from anyone first. I'll let you know. May be a couple months unless someone here knows the answer.

I guess we could run this by the IRS... cheaper than a lawyer :)

Gregory Remington

W

wlatif

Thanks for a prompt reply.

I found cheaper places that will give you less (Only address, mail forward, and couple of other things) for less money ($775 year)

http://www.nevada123.com/services.html#corpbase

Also somebody told me that if you foriegn file in CA I will be able to expense my home rent and utilities bill or part of them if the business will be a home business.

If I get to more info I will try to share them with you.

Thanks.

M

mediatech

I almost went with nevada123 until I found out it was around 1,400.00 for the basic setup. They have it broken down so it appears cheaper but look at the wording. You have to purchase 3 of their other most requested packages on top of the base price.

NCHINC has lawyers and CPAs in the same building which Nevada123 does not. I have called NCHINC about 5 times now with legal and tax concerns and have have gotten legal questions answered quickly and for free. Their corporate planners simply have to yell over their cubicle to a CPA or lawyer in another cubicle which makes them very efficient :)

NCHINC's office space package runs about 1,600.00/yr after the first year (around 2,000.00). Their offices and conference rooms look very nice. You do get what you pay for. I have yet to see Nevada123's office spaces and conference rooms on their web site.

Greg

corporatebabble

I also live in California and would like to set up a NV corporation!

I'm developing a content based website, income will generate from banner ads and affiliate sales only. The site is an edgy humor site, so my primary concern is privacy.

Has anyone read this article, "Corporations Don't Always Come Out Ahead in Nevada", http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_18_22/ai_62217707?

The article states that when you reside in CA, you lose most of the benifits of the Nevada Corp because you have to register the corp in CA as a foreign corporation and then have to abide by CA corporate law as well.

Any thoughts on this... or how to get around it?

I'm also looking for a good NV corporate planner. It sounds like http://nchinc.com/ is the planner of choice per this thread so far... any other insight into this would be appreciated.

ib1kid

Do I need a California business license to operate my Nevada LLC which hold rentals

I formed a Nevada LLC to hold my rental properties in Nevada. I live in California where I have all the mails forwarded to me.

1. Where should I claim as my principal place of business? I can do either Nevada or California or Nevada. My mother lives in Nevada and I can just have that as my principal place of business but have all mailing mails directly to me in CA

2. Do I need a CA business license? All the properties are in NV and all the rental transactions are in NV. I do nothing in CA other than record keeping, accounting, as I live in CA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">