• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowed friend to use credit card will not pay back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tackett2004

What is the name of your state? KY
Four years ago, I allowed a friend to use my Discover Card to buy all new breakers and switches for their house (mid Jan 2 small kids and no power, I couldn't turn them down) Over the years they have given me a total of $47.00. The interest and finance charges of the $310.00 bill soon rose to $1,200.00. Every year they have promised to pay this and that but, ignore me whenever they come into some money. I asked them for the money recently (I did not even ask for the interest incurred, only the $310) and they got upset and are no longer speaking to me. I have the bill from my Discover Card and can prove I made the payments, and can prove that the items in question were not purchased for my personal use. Do I have a legal leg to stand on, or should I just count it as a lesson learned and walk away?

JETX

"Do I have a legal leg to stand on, or should I just count it as a lesson learned and walk away?"
*** Since the SOL for a verbal debt in KY is five years, IF you have sufficient evidence to prove the debt and that there was an understanding of repayment, you can consider taking them to court. However, with only one year (or less) remaining of the SOL, you need to decide quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">