• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Court Monday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

killahair

What is the name of your state? MI
Please Help - I have to go to court monday because I sold a Boat "AS IS" on the reciept - it was a used 12 yr old boat - with a replaced engine year before - buyer bought boat and blew engine 5 weeks after purchase - says engine had a falty dipstick?never heard of that one - worked excellent for me - anyhow believe they(buyer) is going to say I misrepresented boat when selling it as he initially said I installed a falty dipstick - I am NOT a mechanic of anysort - I enclosed receipts on engine installation from year before but the guy who installed engine business went broke or under so that leaves just me on my own - Please give me some advice ASAP. Thanks.

racer72

A faulty dipstick? This guy must think you are a dipstick. All a dipstick is used for is to check the oil level on an engine. It has nothing to do with the operation of the engine. Just tell the judge the truth and watch this guy get laughed out of court.

Seanscott

You sold it "as is", meaning no guarantees. He can't come back now and expect you to pay for repairs or refund his money.

K

killahair

Well thats what he is saying - the faulty dipstick read full oil and there was none so engine failed.He is saying I installed faulty dipstick knowingly? I dunno what to say to that one.He just wants his money.We'll see tomorrow - If you have anymoe advive please help as Ive never been to court nor do I have a lawyer cause its small claims - Thank you all

Seanscott

He is suing you. The burden of proof is on HIM. He has to prove that you intentionally cheated him. From what you have said, I don't think he can do it. "As is" means just that. Good luck.

BL

he is saying - the faulty dipstick read full oil and there was none so engine failed. [ quote]

No oil ? very interesting says Watson . Why would any oil be on dipstick, if no erl ??

Woody woodpeaker sound . That's all folks !!

Please,let us know the outcome ..

K

killahair

Well - it went good AND BAD - judge totally believed me that I didnt build engine nor put in a faulty dipstick as mechanic from marina showed and said he built and put in engine - thought it was over now the mechanic and his business is bankrupt and shut - so there;s no money there for them and now the mechanic is saying receipts for engine work are not true that he did job for cash and no receipts were issued.Next date now is May 17th.God I hated going - I repped myself and stood there as the lawyers and mechanics talked and talked.Please give advice now on what to do with this joker saying receipts not real.

BL

I don't understand ? if you sold it as is and the Judge beleived you , why do you have to go back ? What has the mechanic and other business have to do with you now ?

K

killahair

Well receipts show work was done and he's agreeing to that also the receipts show paid by check - I know I paid him by cash as I wrote checks but he broke me deal for cash so fine - they were incorporated so a number business and they had 2-3 different names so my receipts are showing one of the names not used so now there in trouble because engine WAS faulty and if they dump receipts Itll show I sold boat misrepresenting faulty receipts clearing them and impaling me - I gave receipts of engine work to buyer when he bought it

BL

I see, so now you can be held liable , as the CO. & mechanic went out of business.

So the receipts and the cash transactions are getting tricky .

This issue is beyond my legal knowledge, someone else may know.

The only thing is maybe see as the Judge holding you fully or partially responsible because of the misrepresentation ( because they deny that's them on the receipts), and then you having to sue the CO. of what you can prove.

Maybe you could find out from the County Clerks,the names on the receipts, and see if you can tie these people together in business and prove they are misleading the court ?

But then again you sold it "as-is", so what's the beef if the Judge beleives that , and you didn't put a faulty dipstick in ??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">