• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Motors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

velle73

What is the name of your state? NY
I would like to know if There is legitimate reason for a class action suit to be filed against GM. I am one of many people that purchased a new truck, with what GM calls a piston slap.
GM says this is normal, however I know it is not, and I have spoken with several mechanics who have also told me that it is not normal. Gm refuses to do anything about it. They did send the owners of these vehicles an extended warranty, however I had already purchased an extended warranty, and they do nothing for me. As I said, there are literally thousands of consumers over the last few years that have purchases vehicles with a variety of motors in them that have this problem. Please go to www.google.com, and search GM piston slap. There are many hits on this subject. I think it is about time that someone hold these big corporations accountable for there actions.
Also, check www.the complaint station.com
Thank you,
Suzanne Andrews-Jones

wnagel

I am responding as a mechanic who is knowledgable about the GM piston slap problem. To my knowledge, the piston slap is currently only a noise. The noise is a bit different, whereas its normally when cold and tends to go away when the engine warms up. Some owners have noticed a minute in the morning and then not again all day. Others hear a slight slap most all day. GM has found that this slap noise is just that. Noise. It doesn't affect the useage or safety of the vehicle. I have heard that in cases where the noise is above normal, they have been known to replace the engine. Each case is different and just because you know 2 people with piston slap means nothing. I have known many people who have not liked the noise and can only suggest that you sell the car if it bothers you that much. I am involved with the DexCool Antifreeze class Action against GM, which is a much bigger problem than piston slap noise, and GM refuses to do anything about this.

As for the extended warranty, you might consider requesting a refund for your extended warranty, many times they will pro rate your policy and then let GM buy you a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">