• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting an Internet Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenn_nyc

Hello All,

I'm from New York.

I'm trying to start an internet sole proprietorship and I have a few legal questions which I haven't found answers to in my research.

First, I'm trying to register a DBA and I'm wondering how it is legally determined where I'm conducting business since it'll be over the internet. I'm asking this question because I reside in a borough of NYC and it costs 4 times as much to register there than the rest of NY state. Would it be possible to register using my parents address, which isn't in a borough but is still in NY?

I'm also a little confused about sales tax. From my research it seems that I have to charge sales only to people that reside in NY. Is this correct? If I have to register in NYC, would I have to also charge city tax or would that just be to people that live in one of the boroughs?

I would appreciate any information on these topics or any direction to where I might find such information.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jenn

T

trent2275

If the internet business is computer programming, web design, etc. then there is no taxes to be paid. Other than that, you have to call the state taxation dept. to ask.

P

Pfaffing85690

If the internet business is computer programming, web design, etc. then there is no taxes to be paid. Other than that, you have to call the state taxation dept. to ask.
Trent, the ONLY reason I am answering this duplicate thread is to try to undue the damage your post could cause to anyone reading it.

ANY business, whether or not on the internet, must be conducted within the laws of the jurisdiction from which it originates. In this poster's case, she, at minimum, must secure a DBA license from her city.

Also, county and city zoning ordinances may not allow a home-based business such as computer programming, web designing or other web-based businesses.

As for taxes, Both local AND federal income taxes for wages earned, sales tax and other franchise taxes such as Social Security, Unemployment Insurance and property taxes must be paid.

Now next time you respond, please do the poster a favor and know what you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">