• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pro se subpoena powers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anabanana

What is the name of your state?

What would a pro se litigant have to do to subpoena documentation? I can probably find the appropriate form (or format, at least) to use, but as a legal matter, would it have any less legal authority because it's coming from Anabana, pro se, as opposed to Anabana, Esq.? I have to get a judge to approve it first anyway, right?

ab

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

anabanana said:
What is the name of your state?

What would a pro se litigant have to do to subpoena documentation? I can probably find the appropriate form (or format, at least) to use, but as a legal matter, would it have any less legal authority because it's coming from Anabana, pro se, as opposed to Anabana, Esq.? I have to get a judge to approve it first anyway, right?

ab

See Rule #2, above.

IAAL

anabanana

Florida ... I'm in Florida, and evidently, the rules of procedure changed last year to allow attorneys to subpoena documents without a court order, either directly or through the court clerk (though I can tell you these clerks don't know anything about that) so as a pro se litigant (actually a creditor fighting someone's bankruptcy), wouldn't I have the same right?

Of course, the original question remains, which is that as a practical matter, because it's coming from Anabana, pro se, as opposed to Anabana, Esq., it's not going to be regarded very seriously by the recipient, right?

And further, since I have to subpoena documents from a Georgia corporation and I'm a Florida resident, they're probably going to laugh me off anyhow, right?

tnx

TunaTacos

I am not an attorney, but here is a link to bankruptcy forms. I am assuming from your post, that you are indicating that you are in an adversary proceeding. If so, print form B 255 from this link, fill it out, and have it served. Also, a subpeona is a subpeona no matter if it is from pro se, or an attorney, in my opinion. It's still a legal document that must be honored. If you need help with serving it, I have a friend who is a federal officer that might be able to serve it for you, or at least might know of someone to serve it for you, depending on the area of Georgia that it needs to be served.

http://www.uscourts.gov/bkforms/bankruptcy_forms.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">