• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Balances due on invoices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sparklem50

What is the name of your state? California
I am the owner of a cleaning service. I invoice my customers after every job I complete so as to be paid. I have an account that I did quite a bit of work, each house or apartment is on a seperate invoice. After they received my invoices, some were paid immediately, others during the following 30 days. I however noticed the entire balance was not paid on each invoice, and thought they would be forth-coming, as the monies comes out of different accounts. When all invoices were paid, these balances remained. I faxed a letter requesting the monies due me. The response was astounding, "Your price was too high" "You are higher than the other cleaners we had". What they had done was adjust my invoices to suit them so that some of the owners of these properties wouldn't get angry. I have worked for this company for many years and there had never been any guidelines or caps on the prices I charged for my service. I have sent them a demand letter for $970.00 and have given ample time for them to pay me, figuring, they cannot legally do this, and too we cannot make adjustments to suit us on household bills, you simply pay what is due, and if service is unsatisfactory, you don't call me again or go somewhere else. I specified taking them to small claims court or is this a case for Judge Judy???

S

sparklem50

Serious, Judge Judy has a web site? Well, the joke is on me, an almost senior moment I was having yesterday! Your thoughts and opinion on my case would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

Your case is fairly simple.... they failed to pay your invoice.
I suggest you send them a polite, professional 'demand' letter (by certified RRR) detailing the amount they owe, by invoice and date.
Close with a request for payment within 15 days.

Then, if they don't pay, your only recourse to try to force them to pay is to go to your local small claims court and file a lawsuit against them. Since your suit is against a company, be sure to 'name' them properly and have the proper person served.

S

sparklem50

Thank You, I however already sent them a demand letter, but not certified, should I start over? And also the owner of the company passed away a few months ago, and would assume the business was left to his wife, and do not know who she is or where she lives. I guess my question would be, how do I find out who actually owns the business now? At this point, the woman who is interem supervisor, whom I know, can she be the one served?

BL

Check your county clerks or what ever Agency records business registrations . Ask for a copy of the d/b/a ( doing business as ).If the business keeps the info up to date or amended, it should have to correct person to name , and have served.

JETX

"I however already sent them a demand letter, but not certified, should I start over?"
*** In the event that litigation is necessary, it is good practice (though not always required) to be able to show the court that a demand was made. I suggest resending the letter by certified RRR.

"And also the owner of the company passed away a few months ago, and would assume the business was left to his wife, and do not know who she is or where she lives. I guess my question would be, how do I find out who actually owns the business now?"
*** You can still address the demand letter to the 'business owner', even though he may be deceased. As for the lawsuit, the answer to your question would require knowing what type of 'business' this is. Is it incorporated?? If so, serve notice on the registered agent. If it is a d/b/a, then you can still name the proprietor in the suit, but you may want to add his estate.
For example, 'The estate of John Smith', defendant.

"At this point, the woman who is interem supervisor, whom I know, can she be the one served?"
*** If she is not the owner or the agent for service, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">