• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Handyman in Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cypress4334

What is the name of your state? California

I had a personal/business relationship with a handyman.
We had an oral agreement for him to install some laminated flooring in my home for a set price. He was late constantly and always prolonged the start date and time. We finally came to an agreement which was broken once again. On the day he finally showed up 7 hours late..he pulled up my carpets and threw them out. We got into a heated argument over quitting time..he was supposed to do floors in 3 days, this day he was working only 3 hours. The argument got heated, he was cursing throwing tools and tossing my furniture. He even charged at me as if he were going to strike me. I told him to take his belongings and leave. I filed a small claims judgement against him. No money was exchanged, but in getting new estimates..the cost to finish the job was 3x the amount that he originally asked for. I would have never bought the "clearance" flooring..which can not be returned if the cost to install was that high. Question. Do you think I have a chance to win the money above what I was supposed to pay him for the job especially since he started the job and tore up my carpets? I filed because I thought I saw that on the Peoples Court :) He has to make me whole? Any comments, information or law I can use in my small claims case? Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

BL

What actual damages did he do to Furniture ,Etc. ?

Have you tried calling around for advertised handyman,ck w/ the BBB on there business,ask for references to check out ?

Expect those questions from the Judge and expect to show proofs of estimates .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">