• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpme123

What is the name of your state? CA

I was named in a lawsuit for being at a residence where someone had overdosed, for a very short amount of time. The plaintiff's lawyer named me and another person without even looking at the police report and seeing that our names weren't even in it(most likely included me because of the statute of limitations). I've suffered unnecessary stress throughout the litigation and have lost the respect of several people. Would it be possible to file lawsuit against the plaintiff and his lawyer? The plaintiff's lawyer has dismissed me and the other person from the suit but we have to waive the costs of initial filing fees. Thanks for any advice in advance.

HomeGuru

helpme123 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I was named in a lawsuit for being at a residence where someone had overdosed, for a very short amount of time.

**A: well, I guess that it is better than a lon gamount of time. Did this person die?

The plaintiff's lawyer named me and another person without even looking at the police report and seeing that our names weren't even in it(most likely included me because of the statute of limitations). I've suffered unnecessary stress throughout the litigation and have lost the respect of several people. Would it be possible to file lawsuit against the plaintiff and his lawyer?

**A: yes, and that would generally be in the form of a counter-claim to the initial litigation.

The plaintiff's lawyer has dismissed me and the other person from the suit but we have to waive the costs of initial filing fees. Thanks for any advice in advance.
**A: and how much are we talking about? A couple hundred bucks?

H

helpme123

sorry about the repost in the other forum didn't mean to do it.

1. I said short time because basically I was there right before the drugs were ingested and I had no clue about any presence of drugs.

2. Yes the person did pass away but I was long gone before anything occurred.

3. A counter claim was made but against the other defendants and not to the plaintiff and his lawyer.

4. The fees have totalled to almost $6,000 just to pull my name and another person off the case.

if someone can please delete this thread in the auto forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">