• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Frustrated with Step Parent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legalpandq

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I have read many, many threads about the issues surrounding step parent adoption but, I have a few questions of my own.
Does anyone know if my Ex-husband can Terminate his Parental rights (in the state of KY) without an adoption taking place? The next question: Does a judge have the right to deny my ex-husbands wishes to terminate his rights? Feel free to ask any questions that may help in determing a correct answer. I am very confused about the laws pertaining to this. I am desperate for help!

tigger22472

I'm not sure about the first question as far as your state goes I know in Indiana you have to have a step parent adopt, but again not sure in KY.

HOWEVER, as far as the second question... the answer is YES. The judge can deny your ex from terminating his rights for SEVERAL reasons. One could be that the judge didn't feel a TPR is in the best intrest of the child. Another is that GENERALLY in a TPR all rights to CS are stopped also and in essence that 'b@astardizes" a child. Also if you were to ever need or seek state aid (I know this isn't something we plan.. but things DO happen) then that CS would be money that you could of had in order to help yourself. The judge could deny it for any number of reasons based on his/her belief and that is the judge's rights if they can prove why.

L

legalpandq

tigger22472 said:
One could be that the judge didn't feel a TPR is in the best intrest of the child. Another is .....

The ncp has not seen my daughter, called my daughter etc. in over a year. his visitation has been temporarily revoked because he was ordered to take some anger management classes(This was due to violent behavior during our marriage and in the years after our divorce) in order for his visitation to resume and he never took them. This order was handed down 3 years ago. his child sup has been paid on and off but, he is currently unemployed and is behind over $1,000.00. In your opinion, would these be grounds for TPR?he judge's rights if they can prove BTW what does this mean? :'b@astardizes"

tigger22472

What I meant by "b@stardizing"... and I use it that way otherwize this forum would edit it is.... That LEGALLY if there is no one to adopt that leaves your child with ONE legal parent...

Based on what you've said it's iffy. The judge could pull him into court and give him another chance telling him this is his last shot to have a relationship with his child before he does a TPR... however you say he pays CS off and on. Normally in order to get a TPR there has to be one year no contact AND no support as support is considered contact.

P

Pfaffing85690

This order was handed down 3 years ago. his child sup has been paid on and off but, he is currently unemployed and is behind over $1,000.00. In your opinion, would these be grounds for TPR?
Simple answer: No.

L

legalpandq

Pfaffing85690 said:
Simple answer: No.
I know that child support is not grounds for TPR but, what about the rest. he has shown no interest in the child by not completing a FREE 10 session anger management class (he has to do this in order to have visitation established) over 3 years ago. He does not want the child and is more than willing to sign away his rights. please reply

tigger22472

That's where you're confused... CS does and is included at times when considering TPR. CS IS considered contact. If he didnt' want to pay it at all EVER trust me he could. There are plenty of people who do just that... they avoid paying and simply put just don't pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">