• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xander331

DV Probation Violation

Hello,
I am from Michigan. In 2001 I was convicted of Domestic Violence and sentenced to probation. In the terms of my probation I was to finish a 27 week program in DV counseling. My probation officer sent me to a 52 week program, more than 30 miles away. That costed me alot more money than it should have. Eventually I could'nt make it to the program, and was charged with a violation. After the Judge seen what my probation officer had done, he extended my probation and sent me to a new program. Extending my probation for a whole year. These were not the terms I agree'd to in my plea bargin. I do not understand how he can do this. Needless to say I could not afford this program either. Now I have a warrant for my arrest. Its almost been 3 years. Is there a statute of limitations? The police came to my door, while I was not home looking for me. I only had a bench warrant. I didn't think they could come to my house looking for me?(stated as a question)

Thank you for any answers and advice you can give!

Sicerely, Xander McKinney

Last edited:

JETX

"Is there a statute of limitations?"
*** No.

"The police came to my door, while I was not home looking for me. I only had a bench warrant. I didn't think they could come to my house looking for me?(stated as a question)"
*** Yep. Once a warrant is issued against you, they can take you whenever and wherever they find you.

"Thank you for any answers and advice you can give!"
*** You're welcome. Now, contact the police and get this taken care of at YOUR convenience..... so that it isn't at THEIRS.

X

xander331

Thank you JetX! I appreciate your quick reply. Just one more quick question. I want to have time to find a laywer before turning myself in. Does my wife have to let them in to search, without a search warrant? Im sorry for my ignorance. And thank you once again!

JETX

"Does my wife have to let them in to search, without a search warrant?"
*** Yes and No. If they have a 'fugitive warrant' out on you and suspect you are on premises, they can search. However, if they just happen to 'come by', no they cannot search.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">