• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have been accused ot defaming another person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bdutton

What is the name of your state? MA

I caught someone cheating in a sporting event. I also had a witness to the event and supported my version of events at the time of the event.

I posted my version of events on a message forum. I did not name the accused cheater nor his team. (Did I not do enough to protect his identity?)

There were some inconsistencies in my original post which did not alter the substance of the truth but in order to keep the record straight, I posted a correction. (Truth is an absolute defense correct?)

I also noted in the both messages that I wanted advice on how to handle this type of situation. (does this indicate lack of malicious intent?)

The accused cheater contacted a lawyer after he learned of the message.

The accused cheater claims he has witnesses (which were not produced when asked at the time of the event) which refute my version of events.

Does the accused cheater have a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">