• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor threatening suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jenn1977

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My neighbor today threatened a civil suit over something I, my husband and other neighbors consider a minor issue. However this neighbor has been an ongoing pain since we signed a contract 2 years ago.

For about 6 weeks we had no garbage service since only one of us was working. So in turn my mom took turns taking some of the garbage off until we could resume service.

Though it was unsightly to some of my neighbors it was not a problem as it was bagged up neatly in a 4' x 4' area. 2 weeks ago garbage service was resumed and 8 bags each time were set out (8 is the limit). This will be the 3rd week which all the bags will be gone and we'll be caught up.

Problem is the neighbor is just now complaing telling me we're the reason he has roach & rat problems. The thing is We don't have those problems nor do any of our other neighbors.
I found out yesterday they have complained to other neighbors trying to push them to complain against us-something they don't want to do as they know we're making an effort.

Because of a contract we signed when we had our fence attached to his he is hanging it over our heads and threatening to "cut the fence anytime and let our dogs out".

I know the contract is definitely legal even though it's on notebook paper. But he Never gave us a copy as he promised!

The garbage bags are sitting on our driveway next to our gate due to the fact if we put them in the back yard our dogs will rip them to pieces. We've tried the garbage cans to no avail so we found the front yard was the safest to keep the bags intact.

We plan to get a privacy fence in the front along the driveway so he won't have to look at our cans as well as detaching our fence from his and just running fence along his.

Would these improvements even suffice if he takes us to court? I mean he is saying we are costing him 20K (he is going to sell his house). These houses are 30 years old averaging about 75-85K in appraisals.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Tell him to pump air into the tires, and hitch his pick-up to his singlewide "house", and move.

There's nothing he can do. He can sue all he wants, but right now, all he has are "assumptions" and no damages. Courts don't award "damages" based upon "his" speculation that he's losing $20,000.00.

Tell him to bite rocks.

IAAL

P

Pfaffing85690

And if he persists, turn him in to the local Animal Shelter for having too many pets....:rolleyes:

J

JessicaTS

D'oh! I was beaten to the punch...

I'll pipe up with a "me too" :D

You should mention rolling donuts to him as well.

JTS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">