• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disownership of puppy, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

The Red Head

What is the name of your state? Texas

Not sure if this post belongs here, but here goes...

Yesterday I surrendered a puppy to the Central Texas SPCA. I signed no papers that specifically said I was relinquishing my ownership. No one told me (and nothing was posted) that I could not change my mind. I left the building and returned less than 3 min. later, after deciding I wanted to puppy and could not part with it.

I was told that I could not have the puppy back and in order to get it back I would have to fill out adoption papers and pay $98. There is a two week adoption process, in which they keep her and will not give her back to me. She will be spayed (against my wishes because she is only 6 weeks old and way too young to be spayed. It changes their temperment if spayed too young.)

I desperatly want my puppy back and am going to fill out the adoption paper work today. Is it possible to sue them to get my puppy back? I am not worried about the money, I just want her home with me and not spayed, if possible.

Please help.

-- The Red Head

HomeGuru

The Red Head said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Not sure if this post belongs here, but here goes...

Yesterday I surrendered a puppy to the Central Texas SPCA. I signed no papers that specifically said I was relinquishing my ownership. No one told me (and nothing was posted) that I could not change my mind. I left the building and returned less than 3 min. later, after deciding I wanted to puppy and could not part with it.

I was told that I could not have the puppy back and in order to get it back I would have to fill out adoption papers and pay $98. There is a two week adoption process, in which they keep her and will not give her back to me. She will be spayed (against my wishes because she is only 6 weeks old and way too young to be spayed. It changes their temperment if spayed too young.)

I desperatly want my puppy back and am going to fill out the adoption paper work today. Is it possible to sue them to get my puppy back? I am not worried about the money, I just want her home with me and not spayed, if possible.

Please help.

-- The Red Head
**A: dog, what is the rest of the story? Like the events that transpired before the SPCA got to you?

T

The Red Head

Not sure I completely understand your question but I'll give a more in-depth story, if that is what you are looking for... I was trying to keep it brief.

On 2-23-04 I took a puppy from a litter, birthed by my mother's dog in Louisianna, home with my to Austin, Texas. The puppy lived in my apartment with myself and my room mate. The room mate and I began to argue over the dog because he didn't like it. I considered surrendering the dog, even though I was emotionally attached to it and hated to give it up. I contacted many shelters from 2-29-04 to 3-2-04. I was placed on waiting lists to take the puppy in, but still debated whether it was the right decision.

I took the puppy for all shots and paid the $500 required pet deposit at my apartment for the dog. In all I have spent almost $700 on the dog, thus far.

Yesterday (3-6-04) the SPCA called and said they had room for her. I continued to question my decision all the way there. When I arrived they tested the dog's temperment and gave me papers to fill out. I want to note that I was under distress when I signed those papers. I was crying my eyes out and everyone in the place saw it. No one asked if I was sure I was making the right decision. No one told me that I could not change my mind. They were too busy oggling over the dog, who is gorgous and exotic looking. 3 families wanted to adopt her on the spot. I signed the papers (none of which expressly stated that I was relinquishing ownership of the dog and could not change my mind.) The papers were about shot/medical history and habits/temperment of the dog. I stood up to leave, still bawling, hugged the dog, and went to my car.

I never left the property and sat for approx. 3 min. I was so upset I was having an asthma attack. I went back in to get my dog and was told that I could not have her back since I had given up ownership. I was told to come back tomorrow and fill out the adoption paperwork and that I might get her back in a few weeks, but other people wanted her too.

I am going back today to get copies of everything that I signed. Do I have grounds to sue? I know that in adoptions of children, biological parents have the right to change their minds up to a certain number of days after they give up the baby... do similar laws exist with dogs?

Hope this clarified it a bit...

-- The Red Head

T

The Red Head

HomeGuru said:

I just wanted to let you know that everytime you post something as worthless as your reply it rips at my heart because I think that someone with a real brain has responded with an answer that could help solve my problem. Please grow up.

stephenk

once you signed over the dog, it became the property of the shelter. you then became another member of the public who could adopt the dog and pay the fee.

you were not under duress, since you went to the shelter and gave up the dog on your own. no one forced you to do what you did.

AmosMoses

I once worked for an Animal Control Office in Louisiana, and I know how we handled that. Once you signed the paperwork, it was over. It has to be that way, some cut-off point where ownership converts, because if not all manner of confusion could result. Once you sign it, they can legally euthanize the animal, adopt it out, send it to LSU for research, whatever (or we could, anyway). On your first post, I see that you say you signed no papers "specifically" for that, but I think that you are likely mistaken there. Maybe you didn't notice it, BUT, I can say with a lot of confidence that it was there.

It's a little late for this, but I wish that you had simply arranged to adopt her right when you went back inside, because you could have gotten her back after the wait, and what would have happened was that they would have charged you for the spay and gave you a certificate to have it done. You would have also signed a contract to spay her, but I have never known them to verify that it was done. I say that knowing that the spay would have likely been the wise way, only later, which I take it that you would not have objected to anyway.

As I said, there has to be a point where ownership converts, because if not then people would come back demanding dogs that had been put down or adopted out. I am sorry that it worked out this way for you, and my best advice is to call them as soon as possible and see if she is still there. If so, go and sign the adoption papers right then. If there is a waiting period to sign, find out when it is and be there waiting. I have seen instances where we would put adoptee animals on the local news and have a line waiting the next AM...it's first come first serve, hold the animal for NO ONE. Again, it HAS to be that way.

Best of luck to to you...call on 'em as quick as you can, as that is your only option available now.

HomeGuru

The Red Head said:
I just wanted to let you know that everytime you post something as worthless as your reply it rips at my heart because I think that someone with a real brain has responded with an answer that could help solve my problem. Please grow up.
**A: Look at my post you idiot. I posted a long response and something must have been wrong with the software of this website. Contact the website webmaster and file a complaint. Now I am really pissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">