• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HardlyInncnt

What is the name of your state? kansas
hello!! i am 31 yrs old and found out i was adopted when i was 18. i have just found out some information that i was possibly bought for...is this illegal???? i need information that anyone can give me please...i am at a loss right now ty for your help

n_and

By saying you were 'bought for' I am assuming you mean, someone paid a fee for you. Was this hearsay? It sounds like it is, by the way you 'just found out some information that i was possibly bought for'.
In answer to your question, yes. But you will probably never find out 1) if it is even true, and 2) a reciept for yourself. This person who told you this may very well mean the attorneys fees, medical fees, and any other 'gifts' your birth mother was given, which is perfectly legal.

nextwife

I am not sure what you mean, either, but the adoption process requires quite a number of expenses.

In our case, well over $20,000 in assorted fees. This includes about $2500 for a Home Study required by the state, hundreds in INS Visa fees, plus FBI fingerprint check. The agency fees for overseeing the process and to pay the in-country facilitator. Travel costs. Our legal costs here. Fee to translate and Apostille documents. Orphanage donation. I-600 Visa physicals. Even an accountant fee for a "financial statement". Passport cost for our daughter, etc. etc.

In Domestic adoption, some fees are different, but there are always expenses involved. Any legal process carries them.

For what it's worth, I do believe it is VERY wrong to not always be honest with your child about how you bacame a family. One should not first discover this at a later age. Becoming a family by choice is nothing that needs to be hidden. Our daughter has always known that when she was a baby she "lived in a "baby home" in Bulgaria until we got to be her Mommy and Daddy when we adopted her"

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">