• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to quit it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SUSIEQ502

What is the name of your state? California
About a year and a half ago I got a restraining order against my X. In the last month we have been able to work the visitation issues out and are getting along. How do I go about dropping the order?

stephenk

Is it a permanent order or still a temporary restraining order? was the order for domestic violence? did the order make exceptions for visitation with the kid/s?

stephenk

is this guy the felon who was charged with burglary and possession of a firearm? If yes, I thought he was in prison. Is he now getting out?

SUSIEQ502

Thanks for responding. Yes it is him, he was found guilty of possession of stolen items and sentenced to 9 months county which he has yet to serve. The incident has made him take a look at his life and he APPEARS to have turned it around, though for how long I am not sure. He is off drugs and working his butt off 16 hours a day, and attempting to prove himself to me and the rest of the world. The orders were permanent, he has no visitation unless I agree to it through his mother as it stands. I want my son to have his father in his life, as long as his father is not a threat to his well being.

SUSIEQ502

So nobody knows how to "disolve" a restraining order? I know that there's a better term...but I'm at a loss for it!

S

Soldiersmom

disolving a restraining order

Go the courts that issued it... The judge will ask you a series of questions they may or may not drop it. I have done it in Washington State (Thurston County) that was years ago.
On a personal note make sure that the guy proves for a period of time before letting your son back in to his life. He is facing his demons because it "sounds like" because he's been caught in his wrong doings.
I have 3 boys all of them witnessed the domestic volience and drugs and it does effect their well being in all aspects of life.
Get support from every avenue that you can.
Victims of Domestic Volience (I am a survior) want to believe in the best for the other person for the benefit of being apart of the childs live. Please protect your child as much as possible. Domestic laws are there for a reason.
Becareful and get good advice. Good luck

stephenk

Permanent restraining orders are called that for a reason. It is very difficult to just get a permanent RO dissolved or discharged.

Has he been sentenced to jail? if no, you should keep the order until he completes ALL of the terms of his latest conviction before thinking about setting aside the RO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">