• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co Signed for Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmann120

North Carolina, I co-signed for a car under the smart buy program from GMAC. The primary buyer sold the car in a private sale with a contract. The second buyer made the payments and released the car at the end of the lease. The car had some damage and was 50,000 miles over the lease agreement. The second buyer has not paid for the excess miles and damage. The GMAC is now calling me for the money. I have a copy of the private sale contract. Can I be held legally responsible for the excess miles and damage? What should I do to get the second buyer to pay the balance?

Last edited:

JETX

"Can I be held legally responsible for the excess miles and damage?"
*** Yes.

"What should I do to get the second buyer to pay the balance?"
*** Nothing. You can't do anything to that 3rd party. You can however, consider filing a lawsuit against the buyer YOU co-signed for to try to get him to compensate you for your 'damages' (the amount you pay due to HIS allowing a 3rd party). Then he can go after HIS buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">