• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost because of a rule I didn't know existed- do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsLawyer

What is the name of your state? Washington

Last week I was involved in a speaking competition in which only the top four senior members in the area were allowed to compete. In the end, it was very close between me and another competitor for 1st place. In the end, the other one was awarded first place because I spoke, "5 seconds too long." The problem with this judgement is that under the rules that I, and at least 100 other competitors compete under, is that you are allowed to speak for 5-7 minutes, but up to a minute over without being penalized. If one goes over 8 minutes, then there is a 2 point penalty. Therefore, when I spoke for 7:05, I should not have been penalized at all. However, under the new rules, one is penalized 5 points if one speaks anything over 7 minutes. Here's the thing: None of the leaders in my area were aware of this change in rules, and thus, the new regulations were not passed on to me. My leader has contacted the person in charge of the event and she told her that it was, "our duty to determine if any changes had occurred". The only way one could have learned about these new rules is if one went really looking for the changes because the rule changes were not publicized and my area was not informed. Can I still be awarded 1st place and receive the prize for taking first (the chance to compete at a higher level) or can I be compensated for this wrongful action? (meaning can I be awarded the approxiamently $2000 the higher level competition is worth). Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MsLawyer said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Last week I was involved in a speaking competition in which only the top four senior members in the area were allowed to compete. In the end, it was very close between me and another competitor for 1st place. In the end, the other one was awarded first place because I spoke, "5 seconds too long." The problem with this judgement is that under the rules that I, and at least 100 other competitors compete under, is that you are allowed to speak for 5-7 minutes, but up to a minute over without being penalized. If one goes over 8 minutes, then there is a 2 point penalty. Therefore, when I spoke for 7:05, I should not have been penalized at all. However, under the new rules, one is penalized 5 points if one speaks anything over 7 minutes. Here's the thing: None of the leaders in my area were aware of this change in rules, and thus, the new regulations were not passed on to me. My leader has contacted the person in charge of the event and she told her that it was, "our duty to determine if any changes had occurred". The only way one could have learned about these new rules is if one went really looking for the changes because the rule changes were not publicized and my area was not informed. Can I still be awarded 1st place and receive the prize for taking first (the chance to compete at a higher level) or can I be compensated for this wrongful action? (meaning can I be awarded the approxiamently $2000 the higher level competition is worth). Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

My response:

What do "private contest" rules have to do with the "law"?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">