• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Jersey - Improper Passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rzed

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I received a ticket for improper passing and the facts are as follows:

I was on a single lane road and I was about 50 yards from a light where I had to take a right. Alongside the road, there is a shoulder that is used by vehicles to get into the busineses alongside the road - Cleaner, Wawa, Child care, etc. When I looked ahead, I saw that there were at least 6-7 cars ahead of me on the right lane (including the shoulder). The traffic on the main lane was moving faster than the right lane and if I had stayed on the left , I would have ended up slowing the flow of traffic. So, I pulled over onto the shoulder behind the other cars and waited for my turn to turn right. When I turned right at the green light, I was given a ticket and cited for improper passing.

My first question is, should I fight this in court since it is my first violation and also I did not intentionally pass any vehicles on the shoulder but had moved to the shoulder to let other cars pass on the main lane. When I visited the site again, I took some photographs too of the place where the cop sits in his parked vehicle and it is clear that he does not have a clear line of sight till the signal to even see that the right lane is backed up.

My second question is, the right lane seems to be used by all vehicles to get into the businesses along the road. Should this technically be called a shoulder or are vehicles allowed to pass on such a lane?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">