• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non existant service contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gnbhull

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

My husband and I purchased a used car about 14 months ago, and we paid for a service contract (3yrs/36,000 miles). Yesterday we found out that the dealer never submitted the form or payment to the warranty company. Can I sue for fraud?

JETX

Yes, among other claims.
And what exactly did the dealer say when you asked THEM about this issue?

G

gnbhull

The dealership is out of business. :rolleyes: Hopefully we will be able to track down the responsible party. Do you think we need to file a police report and hopefully have the cops track them down? The car now needs a new transmission, costing close to $3000 and I'm already out the $1900 we paid for the service contract. I plan to call a lawyer first thing Monday.

HomeGuru

gnbhull said:
The dealership is out of business. :rolleyes: Hopefully we will be able to track down the responsible party. Do you think we need to file a police report and hopefully have the cops track them down? The car now needs a new transmission, costing close to $3000 and I'm already out the $1900 we paid for the service contract. I plan to call a lawyer first thing Monday.
**A: this is not a criminal matter but a civil matter. The cops have better things to do then track them down.

JETX

"Do you think we need to file a police report and hopefully have the cops track them down?"
*** Nope. Since this is NOT a criminal matter, the police won't get involved. Any 'tracking' of the responsible parties must be done by you.
Start by reviewing their ownership records and if a corporation, contacting the agent for service. If a proprietorship or partnership, contact the prop or partner.

HomeGuru

Writer, contact your state consumer protection office to see if you have any other remedies. There may be a consumer relief fund with respect to licensed auto dealers.

G

gnbhull

Thanks for your advice. However, I've since discovered that there is a pending criminal investigation into these people so I will be filing a police report after all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">