• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damagef property from another property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bernadine

What is the name of your state? NJ A condominium building lost their roof, which covered several neighborhood properties (mine included), and they never cleaned the surrounding properties properly. My property was covered with tar pieces and other debris, my car was scratched, and I cleaned my grass, pavements, decks several times, and the debris keeps flying onto my property from other properties which were never cleaned up. Afterwards, they hired a roofing company who made another terrible mess (all emanating from their property), and I feel the condominium is responsible because no one from the building supervised the work being done. I have to have my siding power washed, the cement power washed, my car detailed to try to get the scratches minimized, and I feel they should pay. I am not asking for a lot of money, just what the appraisals warrant.

My insurance deductible is very high, so I wrote them several letters explaining this, and they just do not care.

Bernadine

Damaged property

Two years ago the condominium building had a new roof put on, and in December 2003 the roof blew off. This damaged 4 properties (3 of which had major damage) and mine just had thousands of small pieces stuck onto my siding, a number of large tar pieces, gutters and wood all over my yard, hundreds of small tar pieces scattered throughout my grass, decks and stairs. Then the new roofers put on a new roof and in the process of getting rid of the remaining of old roof they threw the large pieces from 5 floors up) into two large dumpsters (even when they were overflowing). This caused debris to fly everywhere again. No one from the condo association was on the site, and there was no way to contact them. On their answering machine, there was no information on how to contact them, and no one replied or came over to my property. I called the roofers' number and they just cursed at me. When the roof blew off the condominium owners never cleaned up the surrounding properties properly, they sent over some men to just pick up a few large pieces, and they just left all the rest of the mess there. Because the surrounding properties were not cleaned up properly or in a timely fashion, and the owners are just summer people, whenever the wind blew more debris was blown onto my property again and again.

I am taking them to Small Claims Court, and I have already been contacted by some risk management company offering half of my $567. I said, "No", because this is exactly what it will cost me to get my place back to where it was.

Last edited:

Bernadine

No. The first roof was put on two years ago, but the roof blew off in December 2003. The second roof was put on at the end of December 2003, but the surrounding debris wasn't even cleaned up properly after the roof blew off. Then a different roofing company put on another roof, and made an even worse mess (which included large dark tar spots on the siding and also my siding to become dirty).

Also, my car was also scratched on the hood from the flying debris.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Bernadine said:
No. The first roof was put on two years ago, but the roof blew off in December 2003. The second roof was put on at the end of December 2003, but the surrounding debris wasn't even cleaned up properly after the roof blew off. Then a different roofing company put on another roof, and made an even worse mess (which included large dark tar spots on the siding and also my siding to become dirty).

Also, my car was also scratched on the hood from the flying debris.
**A: so did you inform the property owner and roofing contractors in writing via certifed rrr mail at ANY time?

Last edited:

Bernadine

Yes. I sent a certified mail to the President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the condominium association. I feel they are responsible because this emanated from their property, they hired the roofers, and that they should pay me and go after the roofers. If anyone from the association was present when the second roofer were taking off the old roof and putting on the new roof, then probably things would not have been done is such a reckless manner.

I only had the second roofers phone number and when I called he cursed at me and said the f word about 5 times.

Also, when I yelled at the roofers for putting the two dumpsers where they put them, they replied that the owner told them to.

HomeGuru

Bernadine said:
Yes. I sent a certified mail to the President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the condominium association.

**A: great. When did this occur? So what is your next step?
I feel they are responsible because this emanated from their property, they hired the roofers, and that they should pay me and go after the roofers. If anyone from the association was present when the second roofer were taking off the old roof and putting on the new roof, then probably things would not have been done is such a reckless manner.
**A: you could be entirely corrct. What are your damages and do you have evidence such as photos, inspection reports etc.

I only had the second roofers phone number and when I called he cursed at me and said the f word about 5 times.

**A: ok, so you were counting.
Also, when I yelled at the roofers for putting the two dumpsers where they put them, they replied that the owner told them to.

**A: did you find out who the owner was by name and talked to this person?

Bernadine

No. I said about five times.

I told you I sent certified mail to the association's president, vice president and treasurer. You could not speak to them, because it was impossible to get their phone numbers. I tried on the web to no avail, and the city would not give out phone numbers (just addresses). Most of the owners of the condominiums live elsewhere, and they are only shoobies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">