• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public profanity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

missy bleu

What is the name of your state? AZ

My husband recently found an accounting discrepancy in our checking account. After going over months of statements, he found it originated back in August 2003 from a bead store I use to shop at. How does this relate to profanity? Back in Nov of 2003, I got into a spat with a customer. I’ll spare the details. In short she insulted me and I told her to mind her own damn business and called her a B$#@H. I then turned to the owners of the bead shop and told them my grievances with them. (my grievances with them related to my spat with the customer) I did not cuss at them I acted professionally when I confronted them. Their response to me prompted me to not shop in their store again. I was also embarrassed about my confrontation with the other customer.
When we called them a couple weeks ago to tell them they charged our card falsely, we have the receipt to prove it and they owe us money, they disregarded us on that matter and immediately brought up the episode with the customer back in Nov. They even went as far as to lie and say I cussed at them. Based on the correspondence we’ve had with them thus far, their posturing leads me to believe if we pursue the accounting discrepancy, which we are against my desire to do so, they will persue action against me regarding the profanity. I’m scared, because I understand public profanity in my state can be punished by 30 days in jail and a $100 fine. I’m wondering if anyone has advice for me that will help to calm my anxiety over this issue. Thanks.

JETX

Ignore all the emotion. Simply take your receipt to your bank and ask them to correct your balance. However, you should realize that they may refuse as the time allowed to dispute your account has likely passed.

M

missy bleu

Thank you for your reply, JETX. I defiantly let my paranoid emotions get in the way. We actually talked to the bank and is has been too long to charge it back. It’s my husband who wants to push the issue. He sent the bead store a letter threatening if they don’t pay up, he will complain to the BBB and the AG’s office. This scares me, b/c I don’t think these people will read that, roll over and pay. I can’t help but fear there will be some sort of retaliation. They’ve already dropped to the level to lie about me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You know, I have searched and searched through the Arizona statutes, and can't seem to locate anything concerning "public profanity" - - except under certain, specific, circumstances; none of which apply to your situation; e.g., in a house of worship.

Do you have a cite to a specific statute that discusses public profanity? Quite frankly, I doubt that such a statute even exists for your type of situation because it would be a law that abridges your First Amendment rights to freedom of speech.

So, if you can point me to such a law, then we may be able to discuss this further with you.

Your goddamned, son-of-a-bitch, mother fu*ker, new friend,

IAAL

azgrandpa

I don't find any such statute for AZ, either. Besides, AZ doesn't have a large enough budget to house the entire state in jail!

HomeGuru

azgrandpa said:
I don't find any such statute for AZ, either. Besides, AZ doesn't have a large enough budget to house the entire state in jail!
**A: that's why they let Texas and New Mexico have some of their prisoners.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

azgrandpa said:
Yeah....we give away all our "good" prisoners so they are safe and secure away from "Sheriff Joe"!

My response:

Sheriff Joe is a wonderful warden. His style is one which should be emulated by others.

We have a perfectly good desert in California, called the Mojave Desert, that gets blisteringly hot during the Summer months - - just right for tents!

IAAL

M

missy bleu

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to search out this matter and offer a response to me.
The way I came up with the jail time and fine is by doing a search on Goggle under public profanity laws, AZ. After seeing it, I freaked out and called my city’s police dept. I described to the officer the matter at hand and he told me these shop owners absolutely have the right to bring a case against me to a judge. He told me by my cussing in their shop; it would be classified as disorderly conduct. He also said a judge could throw it out.
How this matter will play out, I don’t know. I defiantly feel the shop owners have a vengeance against me; especially the way my husband has handled the matter thus far and my personality conflicts with them. I begged my husband to drop the issue. I even paid back the accounting discrepancy through my jewelry sales. He refused to listen to me, b/c he feels it was unethical for them to charge our debit account for the amount I gave them in cash and not fix the problem like they claimed they did.
If the issue gets nasty and goes before a judge, I know I won’t go to jail. The worst that could happen is; I get fined, and for the first time in my life, have a record for a run in with the law. This could ruin my dreams for the future, b/c it makes me look like an unstable person. I just went back to school to finish my prerequisites to apply for pharmacy school. The school holds their applicants to the highest of ethical standards, just b/c of the mere nature of the job.
I don’t want to run on and on about this issue that really seems so petty. Again, I thank everyone who took the time to respond. When I get a response from the shop regarding my husband’s threats, I’ll let you all know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">