• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on debt to Defense dept ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

terrya64

Washington.

I recently got a letter from the I.R.S
stating that my tax refund was given to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting center for a debt I owed. The debt was that when I got out of the service in late 1994 they overpaid me on my seperation pay. The question is " Can they collect this almost 10 years later?"
I have had no contact with them since about 1995. They notified me at the time about the overpayment, but I was unemployed with no means to pay it back.
This was the first I have heard about that old debt since then. They have not taken any of my past refunds.. Thanks..
Sorry if this was wrong forum for the message, couldn't decide where it should go..

stephenk

how much is the debt? do you know if any other legal action was ever taken against you in regard to collecting the debt?

are you disputing you owe the money?

JETX

Of course the US Government can't do that to you!!!
Now, you just have to get $10,000 plus together and file a lawsuit against them.....
Keep up apprised of how the lawsuit is progressing.

T

terrya64

They kept my refund of $2600.00. Don't know what the debt amout is or was.
I don't dispute that I owed it. Just didn't expect to pay it 10 years later.Do not believe there was any legal action., at least I never heard of any..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">