• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigner and screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jewellze

What is the name of your state? florida

I cosigned for an ex girlfriend on two different loans. She quit paying them and didn't tell me and I move alot due to my job and the loan companies were unable to find me. I found out she quit paying when i tried to buy a house it showed up on my credit report. I have payed the one deliquent loan off to make my scores go back up but still in process of paying her student loan off. Do I have a case whatsoever since I cosigned. I wasn't sure if a verbal agreement made any difference in this case or with the one loan being a student loan and her not completing school made a difference either. Any information would help... thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

jewellze said:
What is the name of your state? florida

I cosigned for an ex on two different loans. She quit paying them and didn't tell me and I move alot due to my job and the loan companies were unable to find me. I found out she quit paying when i tried to buy a house it showed up on my credit report. I have payed the one deliquent loan off to make my scores go back up but still in process of paying her student loan off. Do I have a case whatsoever since I cosigned. I wasn't sure if a verbal agreement made any difference in this case or with the one loan being a student loan and her not completing school made a difference either. Any information would help... thanks
**A: yes, you have a case for nonpayment of the debt by ex against ex.

Last edited:
N

nicolia

To be more specific, you may sue your ex to gain back your money lost.

Question: Where does your ex live today? Where did the both of you live when you co-signed the loans?

J

jewellze

We both lived in Florida in the same county.

What is nonpayment of debt?

HomeGuru

jewellze said:
We both lived in Florida in the same county.

What is nonpayment of debt?
**A: you both co-signed the loans and the loans are considered debts. Ex did not pay so it is considered nonpayment of the debt. You can sue ex for the amounts that should have been paid by him/her. The loan companies have a right to go after you under the joint and several liability clause.

JETX

Simply, you can sue the 'ex' for the damages she caused you. The damages are the funds that you were forced to pay on her behalf, due to her breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">