• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a civil suit in order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meisjedog

What is the name of your state? oh

I've post a detailed complaint below, but I'll give a quick summary of what has happened.

I have managed to get a drug house condemned by code enforcement. The owners son have apparently handed out keys allowing various people continued access for illegal pourposes. I have been advised by my liaison office to call the police whenever I see acivity at the house. When I call police, I specifically state that I do not want an officer to come to my front door, he must contact me by phone. One of the the sons, a convicted felon and known dealer, told a police officer that he is the offical homewoner. This police officer brought the man to my front door, without my consent, and allowed him to question me as to why I keep calling the police. I asked to speak to the officer in private. He told me in a very disrespectful tone that I was profiling, I didn’t know the law, and if it were up to him, he would file charges against me for harassment. I now feel my family is in danger because my identity has been revealed to a well connected network of criminals. I am now afraid to sleep and always have one hand on a weapon when I rest.

I have filed a complaint with Internal Affairs and with the Mayor's office.

What are my options here? I do have a security camera that captured the officer bringing the man on my front porch.

Thank You

March 15, 2004

To Whom It May Concern,

I feel my life may be in danger because of a ******* Police Officer who responded to a complaint I made about suspicious activity at condemned house. I am a homeowner and have lived in the neighborhood of ********** for six years. I’m currently involved in our neighborhoods Blockwatch program and my effort has led to several arrests in the area that involved illegal activity.

The house located at ****** ******Street as long been a hangout for drugs users and prostitutes. Many of the neighbors, including myself, have alerted police on the type of activities that take place in and around that house on numerous occasions. While our work has led to several arrests at the house, it still remains a problem in the area. As recently as 2 weeks ago, a man who can commonly be seen hanging out in the alley next to the house pulled a gun on my neighbor for no apparent reason.

I have worked hard with **** ******* and **** ******* of Code Enforcement to have the house condemned because of its dilapidated condition. I felt we had achieved success when the house was condemned last week and emergency vacate notices were posted on the front doors. A review of a security camera shows the owner removing the vacate notices the next day.

These past weekend was especially busy at the house, cars and people in and out at all hours, many only staying for several minutes and then leaving. ***** *****, our Liaison Officer, has informed the neighbors to call the police if we see anyone entering the building or loitering on the property. I called the police twice Saturday night, once for people entering the building and the second time for people having a party on the front porch at 2:30A.M. Whenever I call the police, I explicitly state that I do not want the police to come to my front door, they are free to call first and I will meet them behind my house. I do this because I fear that if the men in that house found out who was calling the police, my family, which includes our 11-month-old son, would be placed in danger.

I placed two calls Sunday night after seeing the same type of activity in and around the house. Officer ******** responded to the second call I made around 12:30 A.M. Monday morning. The officer proceeded to bring one of the men from the ****** ******street to my front door to find out why I had been calling the police. This man shown in photo “B” is a convicted felon, and a known drug dealer in the neighborhood. The man also appeared to have been drinking heavily due to the strong smell of alcohol on his person. I was very shocked when I opened my front door to find the officer and the man standing there The officer allowed the man to interrogate me for at least 10 minutes, doing nothing more then asking him to hang up his phone. I simply informed the officer and the man that the house is condemned, it is illegal to enter, and that I had been informed by our liaison officer to alert the police when I see any activity.

I then asked the officer if I could speak to him in private. I asked him point blank why he would bring a convicted felon and a current known drug dealer to my door when I specifically stated to the dispatcher that I feared for my safety. I informed him that ***** ****** has told the neighbors to call the police whenever anyone enters the building. I also informed him that the Code Enforcement had posted emergency vacate orders on the house, as shown in photo “C” and it is against the law to enter. The officer replied by saying he did not know who our liason officer was and didn’t really care. He told me in a very disrespectful tone that I was profiling, I didn’t know the law, and if it were up to him, he would file charges against me for harassment. He said the man who was there claimed to be the homeowner and that was all he needed. When I tried to explain that the house is condemned, the man is not the homeowner, and does not live there, the officer promptly walked out of my house.

According to the ****** County Auditor, the property is owned by *** ****** . This in not the man shown in the photo, his name is ***** ***** and he is not the official homeowner.

I find this type of behavior by a police officer to be irresponsible absolutely unacceptable. I feel Officer ******* #**** has revealed my identity to a known criminal and placed my family in danger. I am now all but certain I will see some type of retaliation from the men who occupy that house and I have no way to stop it.

I can supply the full video of the incident at your request, it does not contain sound.

I would appreciate any type of help you are able to give me.

Sincerely,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">