• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inanimate Object As Plaintiff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmcdade

What is the name of your state? SC

I'm studying to be a pharmacist and am highly interested in pharmacy law. The is a famous case in the pharmacy law community which is kinda interesting. The question I have is this:

Why/How can a lawsuit be brought by an inanimate object? The case in question is this:

1962 Ford Thunderbird v Div. of Narcotic Control

198 N.E.2d 155 (Ill. App. Ct. 1964)

The quick and dirty issue of this case is this:

Whether the defendant's automobile may be confiscated when she unlawfully possessed narcotics persuant to a prescription that had been post-dated. I have asked some local attorneys that are friends of mine and they had never heard of such.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

These are called "In Rem" forfeiture cases. I'm surprised that your attorney friends didn't know this. For a full and complete answer as to why these cases are titled this way, go the following site:

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://www.sexwork.com/legal/forfeiturelaw.html

See also, for example, United States v. $49,576.00 U.S. Currency (9th Cir. 1997) 116 F.3d 425

IAAL

Last edited:
B

bmcdade

Can of Spam

I'm sure there's a GREAT story behind the Spam lawsuit!! LOL Incidentally, apparently Ford Thunderbirds are quite the litigious bunch considering the case I cited as well as the case cited by the first respondent both involved them. ;P

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">