• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel/Slander in Pleadings & the Press

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

realjethro

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Two questions regarding libel/slander/defamation.

1. Can statements made about a person in legal pleadings (Answer/Counterclaim, etc.) be considered as libel/slander/defamation? Or are these documents considered privileged against such claims?

2. If a third-party (e.g. the press) were to publish a portion of the aforementioned pleadings about such a person, can that be considered libel/slander/defamation? If so, who would be liable for that -- the party who filed the pleading, the press, or both?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

realjethro said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Two questions regarding libel/slander/defamation.

1. Can statements made about a person in legal pleadings (Answer/Counterclaim, etc.) be considered as libel/slander/defamation? Or are these documents considered privileged against such claims?

2. If a third-party (e.g. the press) were to publish a portion of the aforementioned pleadings about such a person, can that be considered libel/slander/defamation? If so, who would be liable for that -- the party who filed the pleading, the press, or both?

My response:

The movie called "A Case of Libel", starring Ed Asner (Lou Grant), and Daniel J. Travanti (Hill Street Blues) has the answers to your questions, and it's quite entertaining too!

So, go rent it and get your answers.

IAAL

Last edited:
O

oberauerdorf

Also, after watching the movie and writing your report make sure you do NOT tell your instructor you got the video "cliff notes" version.

R

realjethro

Thanks for the reply. A quick check of the local video stores show that none carry "A Case of Libel."

Can you give me the spoiler..?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=8494

Read the review. Then, order it and buy it. Extremely strong performances, and the story is exactly as your questions.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">