• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liable to pay bills??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Julianne

What is the name of your state? CA
i have a very important question. i was living with two other people and i decided to move out. i left a month before my lease was up and they are trying to make me pay for the utility bills for the month that I was not living there. I am not agreeing to pay this being that i did not stay one day at the apartment during that time. they are threatening to take me to small claims court, can they leagally do this?? Does there need to be a written agreement saying i would pay the bills in order for them to have a case???? please respond i am clueless!! thank you sooo much p.s i am paying rent :confused:

djohnson

Written or verbal what was the agreement?

If the three of you said you were moving in together for X amount of time and during that time you would share the bills equally, then yes you are responsible.

How much notice did you give them that you were moving out? This might be your only hope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">