• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Institutional Use"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

me5904

Hi everyone,

Would really, really appreciate your help.

What is "Institutional Use" in relation to a copyrighted extract?
What are the rules in relation to this type of use? and how is it different from n0n-theatrical use?
Are there any parameters? Is the situation different in different jurisdictions?

Any light you can shed would be really useful.

Thanks very much,

Michelle

O

oberauerdorf

Institution as in College, University, Foundation etc.

A theatre is a for-profit entity and, as such, is not eligible for the restricted fee structure of such an institutional use license.

M

me5904

thanks but...

whats the difference between what you described and non-theatrical use?

O

oberauerdorf

non-theatrical as in? You're questions a way too broad. How about a specific question to a specific situation?

M

me5904

sure

I am dealing with extracts of a script under a license. The licensee wishes to know whether they have "non-institutional" rights under the license? they have non-theatrical and theatrical rights but the license says nothing about "non-institutional" rights are...

Thanks so much

O

oberauerdorf

O.K., without viewing the contract that your licensee signed with the copyright holder, my "GUT" feeling is that they have the rights to a script of some kind and are using those rights in some form (whether it be in a classroom setting, as part of another work or otherwise).

Now they want to use the script in a completely different setting than what was initially intended by the contract license. If this is a correct synopsis then no, they have only the rights as assigned in the initial contract and would have to re-negotiate another license to use the materials in a 'non-institutional' setting.

Again, without reading the contract for license this is a shot in the dark. However, I used a shotgun :D

M

me5904

thanks and...

What is the nature of those "institutional use" rights? I really don't even understand what they are....

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">