• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding entrapment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cowboy05

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I had a experience with a officer one evening. We were traveling in a 25 mp zone when a local officer flew by me with out his overhead lights on driving eraticly late at nite. We decided to follow him, we ended up at about 60 mph to keep up. We came to a stop light and pulled up next to him. He looked at me and I smiled and made my right hand turn on red. A soon as i turned he cut across lanes and pulled me over. He aproched the car and said i was doing 60 in a 25.. I looked him in the eye and said so were u. He said i was going to a call for back up, and i said your lights wern't on, and i believe this is entrapment i said to him.. He didn't know what to say he just made a few excuses and then he gave me a propisition either he could write me a ticket or give me a warning....I just laughed at him when i left without a ticket. MY question is do officers have to have their overhead lights on while exceding the speed limit, basicaly breaking traffic laws, and can they give u a ticket for what they just did without their lights on...example speeding failure to signal lane change...ect...

HomeGuru

cowboy05 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I had a experience with a officer one evening. We were traveling in a 25 mp zone when a local officer flew by me with out his overhead lights on driving eraticly late at nite. We decided to follow him, we ended up at about 60 mph to keep up. We came to a stop light and pulled up next to him. He looked at me and I smiled and made my right hand turn on red. A soon as i turned he cut across lanes and pulled me over. He aproched the car and said i was doing 60 in a 25.. I looked him in the eye and said so were u. He said i was going to a call for back up, and i said your lights wern't on, and i believe this is entrapment i said to him.. He didn't know what to say he just made a few excuses and then he gave me a propisition either he could write me a ticket or give me a warning....I just laughed at him when i left without a ticket. MY question is do officers have to have their overhead lights on while exceding the speed limit, basicaly breaking traffic laws, and can they give u a ticket for what they just did without their lights on...example speeding failure to signal lane change...ect...
**A: yes.

robbob

So, you see a marked cruiser, and speed up to 35 mph above the speed limit. You are then "SHOCKED" when you get pulled over. If this happened in my state (MA.) the officer could have arrested you, charged you with felony driving to endanger and you'd have faced a licence suspension. He's nice enough not to ticket you and you "laugh in his face". You are undoubtedly mentally challenged. Good luck in life.

Bravo8

I'd have written you.

Whether the officer needs to have his overhead lights activated while exceeding the speed limit is one for state law, but your response to his speeding isn't the brightest idea.

I routinely respond to calls at a higher rate than the posted speed limit, and without lights. Any call where you would not want to alert someone of your presence requires such a response. (Depending on the nature of the "backup", this may or may not be true).

Not having any 4-lane roads in my jurisdiction, I don't have the opportunity to do the following, but some neighboring departments do. They will speed by in the fast lane, and see if anyone starts to pace them. They then clock their speed, and cite them.

It doesn't qualify as entrapment under any legal definition of the term. Entrapment requires you to be arrested under one of two circumstances: You need to be made to believe the conduct is not illegal (a cop waving you through a red light while directing traffic, and then citing you), OR you having no knowledge of the offense (a cop stops you and searches your car, then plants dope and arrests you).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">