• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

off duty officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyhawkeklb

What is the name of your state? Michigan

my son was seen speding by an off duty officer in his personal car with his family with him. he didn't pull my son over but about four days later i was called and told about it and my son was issued a ticket. can this be done?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ladyhawkeklb said:

my son was seen speding by an off duty officer in his personal car with his family with him. he didn't pull my son over but about four days later i was called and told about it and my son was issued a ticket. can this be done?

My response:

Yes. While an officer's "SHIFT" might be over, the officer is still an officer of the law 24/7.

IAAL

lwpat

speeding Teenager

" he didn't pull my son over but about four days later i was called"

And exactly what have you done about the situation. Do you realize that the leading cause of deaths among teenagers is from a traffic accident? Have you called the officer and thanked him for notifying you of your son's unacceptable behavior?

How many parents do you think this officer has had to call and notify them that their son was in the hospital or worse? Instead of complaining about the ticket you need to take the steps necessary to see that it does not happen again. Otherwise you may be like this family:

"My son will be forever 18 years old. This horrific event has changed Bobby, Jr's. families life forever. My son was given a death sentence and his parents were given a life sentence."

racer72

jjtricket said:
Fight it. How does the officer know who was driving?
If you read the OP, you will read that the officer called and most likely verified the operator of the vehicle at that specific date and time. Nothing like having "Mom" squeal on her own kids.

Bravo8

How does he know the kid was driving? Easy.

Working in a small town, I know a significant portion of the local population. Often times I see a violation where I choose not to stop the offender, but recognize them. One common occurence is where I see a person I believe to have a suspended DL. Instead of stopping them and being incorrect, I note the time, return to my headquarters, and run their DL. If they are suspended, I mail them the cite.

Another possibility is running the registration, and running the registered owner's name through a system that shows DL pictures with their driving record (in PA we call it JNet). PIcture matches the guy driving, bingo!

O

oberauerdorf

my son was seen speding by an off duty officer in his personal car with his family with him.
Bside the fact that you should be busting his butt right about now, and aside from the fact that all the advice you have received is right on the mark, there is one issue that you should be addressing.

And ONLY after you bust his ass.

That's the above quote. When was the officer's personal car speedometer certified?

Tallerin

ladyhawkeklb said:

basically as stated don't need to pull you over at the time of incident. Pay the fine and do want is necessary to keep son from doing it again. before somethin worst happens cause evientaully the worst will catch up sooner or later. Cause it has happend to me don't put it off till a car pulls out that he possibly could have avoided doing the speed limit but instead smash into it cause of driving over the speed limit.

HomeGuru

Re: Re: off duty officer

Tallerin said:
basically as stated don't need to pull you over at the time of incident. Pay the fine and do want is necessary to keep son from doing it again. before somethin worst happens cause evientaully the worst will catch up sooner or later. Cause it has happend to me don't put it off till a car pulls out that he possibly could have avoided doing the speed limit but instead smash into it cause of driving over the speed limit.
**A: Huh?

Tallerin

Re: Re: Re: off duty officer

HomeGuru said:
**A: Huh?

just trying to state that an off duty officer can ticket you for speeding if you fly by them and not recieve the cight the same day. happend to me and not much could be done about it. and the other part is from experience from me being stupid and not learning from the first speeding mistake except this time i got more then a speeding ticket. lady ran a stop sign pulled out in front of me and stopped. due to driving over the speed limit i was unable to avoid her and i slammed into her where as if i was going the posted limit i would have had more time to try and avoid it. needless to say the worst happened from neglecting to learn from the first speeding ticket.

Bravo8

When was the officer's personal car speedometer certified? [/B]
Depends on the state law. Many states have speed laws that allow an officer to estimate the speed.

I can cite someone for "Obedience to Traffic Control Devices" or "Driving Vehicle at a Safe Speed" if I don't have a proper clock on them. Someone traveling significantly over the limit is easy to identify as speeding.

Locally, it's not done often, as the courts frown upon it.

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: Re: off duty officer

Tallerin said:
just trying to state that an off duty officer can ticket you for speeding if you fly by them and not recieve the cight the same day. happend to me and not much could be done about it. and the other part is from experience from me being stupid and not learning from the first speeding mistake except this time i got more then a speeding ticket. lady ran a stop sign pulled out in front of me and stopped. due to driving over the speed limit i was unable to avoid her and i slammed into her where as if i was going the posted limit i would have had more time to try and avoid it. needless to say the worst happened from neglecting to learn from the first speeding ticket.
**A: before posting again please study up on the use of sentence structures and proper punctuation.

S

Sambo83

Does your son claim he is not guilty?
If he believes he is not guilty, he should plead not guilty. He can argue that the officer has no evidence of his speed, and object to all testimony talking about him driving too fast. He can then state how fast he was actually going, etc etc etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">