• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing in a different state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VividVisions

What is the name of your state? MI

Ok this is another question to the "Don't know his last name" topic

This guy lives in illinois, so do i send a copy of the claim to his county court?? then do i have to go all the way over there to appear in court or can i have him come to my court in michigan?? is there anyway i can make him come to me instead of me going all the way over there?? if i do have to go over there can i save reciepts from gas, food, hotel room and make him pay for that?? thanks for any help

Jerrod

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

VividVisions said:
What is the name of your state? MI

Ok this is another question to the "Don't know his last name" topic

This guy lives in illinois, so do i send a copy of the claim to his county court?? then do i have to go all the way over there to appear in court or can i have him come to my court in michigan?? is there anyway i can make him come to me instead of me going all the way over there?? if i do have to go over there can i save reciepts from gas, food, hotel room and make him pay for that?? thanks for any help

Jerrod

My response:

You call his county court to make sure that, particular, court is the correct court. Sometimes there are many courthouses in the same county - - so, you'll need to find the court that covers his address location.

You have to go to his State to file and sue him. Your State has no jurisdiction over him. Additionally, his assets are in his State, which is another thing your State has no jurisdiction "to grab" in the event you receive a judgment.

No, you cannot obtain your costs of travel, food and lodging. If you win, you'll get your judgment amount, plus your costs of court. That's it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">