• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bush2004

Pennsylvania

last april i bought a used van from a lot that had just been inspected the previous month.

when i went to get the van inspected for this year, i was given a list of over 10 reasons why it failed inspection. since i only put 5,000 or so miles on it,
there is no way all of the abuse and rotting happened in the last year.

it seems that the inspection from when i bought it was falsified.

do i have a case for small claims court or is this just something i have to eat the money on. also, if it means anything, i paid just over $2,000 for it.

BL

I'm not familiar with PA's Laws on this, but I take it the vehicle would not pass ?

Was the prior inspection done by the "lot" ( lot I take it means Dealer ) ?

These are all important because If you bought it from a Dealer, and you can have the inspection station , or mechanic, state on the invoice , or testify, that "there is no way that rust ( if it effects safety) could have occurred since the purchase".
It would appear the vehicle was rusted ( what part- frame ? ), at the time of purchase, you most likely have a case.

If you can get more that one mechanic to " Look it over " and put it on there letterhead or invoice the better you have of success.

The question then becomes , how much should you be entitled to? You did use it for 1 yr.

https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/contact_us/email.jsp#top?2004032211300365=2004032211300365

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the . . ."

No, you don't have a case. The problem is that you failed to have your own mechanic inspect the vehicle before you plunked your money down. Instead, you relied on their inspection - - and, guess in who's favor that inspection was for? That's right, the dealer - - not a prospective purchaser.

You have the problem of "Caveat Emptor". Look it up.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">