• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4th in a 5 car accident; how much is my fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ckwong96

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi all,

I was wondering 2 things:

1) How do you find out the number of points that will be added to your license for a federal traffic violation? I have a ticket for 36 CFR 4.22 (b)(3), "failure to maintain proper control (accident)", from the National Park Service,but am unable to find out what kind of penalties this ticket will incur when it goes to trial in Virginia.

2) Also, I got this ticket because I rear ended the 3rd car in a 5 car accident (I was the 4th) The third car stopped abruptly by running into the 2nd car, without braking, in a freeway (50 mph limit) situation. (Clear conditions, heavy traffic) No one was apparently speeding or tailgating. Is there any way to get out of this situation without adding points to my license? I acknowledge that I hit the 3rd car, but are there any extenuating circumstances that could help me? FWIW, I was about 3 seconds behind, as suggested in the VA driving manual, and had time to look to the left lane and decide not to swerve there, brake, and try to swerve right to avoid the crashed car. Should I even try to contest this ticket?

Thanks!!!!!!

L

loocpoc

Were you ticketed by US Park Police or NPS Rangers?

Generally speaking points wont be assessed for CFR violations because the cfr states either you have a mandatory appearance before the magistrate or have a collateral fine.

Try looking up the district court website as they should have what is known as a "schedule of penalty offenses".

C

ckwong96

I was ticketed by the US Park Police, and it was a $70 fine, which I'd be happy to pay if no points are assessed on my license. I'll check with the court. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">