• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicolia

What is the name of your state? Texas

The social security office has just contacted my Dad saying that he is being sued by the gov't for overpayment of social security. They claim that he never informed them that he received a Canadian pension as well...(However, we have documentation that he did inform them when he started SS).

My question is more of a legal background question. What is the law concerning the below.

My father currently gets $500 from the US gov't for his time spent working in the US......and he gets $300 for his time worked in Canada.

The US gov't now says since they found out he has a Canadian pension coming in, they are going to dock his US social security pay by $275 and charge him for overpay since 1996.

I'm very positive that we can prove the US office knew of his pension and should be able to reverse the overpay suit, but what is the law concerning the proposed deduction of his current social security? If he worked and paid social security, why does he get docked for getting a Canadian pension? His US social security is only for the amount he worked while in the US.

Let me know if I need to offer more detail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">