• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaping school concerts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lawdad

What is the name of your state? MO. I haven't found a satisfactory answer to this question: can a school or arts organization to allow parents to videotape a children's choir concert? Assume that the school has the proper performance rights. it's not a musical or theatrical work - it's a selection of works sung by a choir that parents want to video for their own memories, send to grandparents, etc. No video broadcasts or sales. Some schools prohibit videotaping, some allow it if it's non-disruptive, but most have no stated policy at all. Any thoughts, comments, opinions would be appreciated.

JETX

Rather than get into a theoretical discussion about your 'what-if' scenarios (which is NOT the purpose of this forum), how about some specifics..... IF you have one.

L

lawdad

Didn't mean to offend anyone out there. I'll try again: I have kids who sing in choirs for school and church. Anyone who's ever been to a school performance has seen plenty of parents with video cameras taping the performance. One school my kids sing with bans videotaping because it's been told that music publishers view the videotaping as a copyright violation. Since I've been to any number of school performances where videotaping is at least tolerated, I'm wondering if videotaping is a problem or not.

JETX

The 'owner' of a production, be it a school concert or a big-name rock band, has the right to prohibit copying 'their product'. The school has a right to ban unauthorized taping of the 'product' that they produce.

Further, the school is using copyrighted products in their production. There are permissable purposes for schools to do so (educational), but that permission would not extend to anyone else copying or 'using' the copyrighted property of another. The school is correct in protecting the copyright holders rights.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">