• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Becki C.

What is the name of your state?tennessee

i may not be in the right place for this question, but i did not notice anything else that really pertained to my question. i am sorry if i am in the wrong place. please advise.

my ex and i divorced 16 years ago shortly after his release from the military (marines). he suffered 2 suicide attempts, mood swings, anxiety and even went awol. counseling was ordered in the military, but found nothing in the way of diagnosing his problem. after his "other than honorable" discharge, he was found to have a large tumor on his adrenal gland. this was thought to be responsible for his irratic behaviors. he has been in legal wrangling with the military for the last several years over trying to hold them liable for not finding his illness and subsequently causing the dismise of our marriage, his departure from the marines, etc. he has called and ask that i now give a statment as to the behavior i witnessed from him during that time. he said i deserve some of the settlement, if there is one, because of the emotional stress i suffered watching my then husband try to kill himself and go awol, etc. my questions are these: after all this time, what does this have to do with me? i don't think he can get any compensation for himself, muchless me. i think it was unfortunate that the military doctors didn't find his ailment, but i don't believe you can hold them liable for it. i think he should move on and let it go. also, what good would a statement from me accomplish at this late date? my ex disagrees. who's right?

O

oberauerdorf

The military doctors are for the most part, immune from liability. Without gross negligence, which this does not rise to, there is no liability and therefore, no settlement.

Tell your ex to quit fighting battles that he can't win and start fighting the battle ahead of him.

A

afterhrs

Unfortunately, Oberauerdorf is correct, I believe convicted killers in prison have more rights in regards to medical
malpractice than our people in uniform.
What a sad state of affairs.

N

NancyLou9

I was in the military, my husband is retired...

Your husband, when he enlisted, signed a contract stating he was giving up his right to sue the government. However, he cannot sign away your right to sue them. But, you have to be the one that is motivated.

My suggestion to him, your ex, would be to file a claim with the VA. If he wants compensation, that is the place to get it. He will also get help for his illness...

My husband's mental problems were also basically ignored by the military, that or misdiagnosed. The military has some really good doctors, unfortunately, the also have some very bad ones.

I could have sued the military and the doctors that misdiagnosed my husband, but what's the point? They have all kinds of money behind them and I don't/didn't.

Becki C.

nancylou9: i don't have any desire to pursue it. we divorced 16 years ago and when i spoke with him yesterday to tell him i can't help him, he's still the same bitter angry person he always was. his problems were not caused from a tumor in my personal opinion. he is just looking for a way to get monetary compensation and blame his problems on the military I think. i'm sorry for what we both went through all those years ago, but i just think he'd be better off using his energy for more positive things.

i do know what you mean about the doctors though. there were some that i could've done without. but what's done is done and there's no changing the past. i've certainly moved on and he needs to as well.

i do appreciate you sharing your personal situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">