• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this evidence valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TMcD11

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just got cited doing a quick burst of 85 in a 55 zone on the Pa Turnpike (average traffic speed about 70-75). This was very brief, trying to get by a line of cars to get in the exit lane and not miss my exit (I'm not really making excuses).

The ticket states "Miles Timed: .06 miles"! (I found that hard to believe, but it also says "Miles Followed: .3 miles", so he couldn't have meant he paced me for .6 miles)

.06 miles at 85 would be about 2.5 seconds.

Does anybody know if there is a minimum distance requirement for this to be admissable?

Bravo8

What method of speed timing was used? 0.06 of one mile is 316 feet, certainly more than enough for VASCAR, Tracker, or any other electonic speed timing.

If the officer was using RADAR (assuming it was a State Trooper since you said it was on the Turnpike), then the distance isn't a required factor.

If the officer was clocking you - in other words pacing your vehicle with his, and measuring your speed with his speedometer - then a minimum distance of .3 of one mile is required.

T

TMcD11

Well, there are 6 boxes on the ticket: Radar, Clocked, A.O.V., ESP, Vascar, Other - the officer checked 'Clocked'.

I have to assume there is some electronic supplement to the speedometer to even indicate hundreths of a mile.

Could you supply the ordinence number for that .3 mile requirement? It would help my defence tremendously to be able to quote that!

Bravo8

My guess would be that the Trooper mixed up the two boxes, and meant to put .3 as the miles timed and .6 as the miles followed. This could be easily rectified by his amending the citation prior to trial. Depending on the Judge, he may allow you to object to the amendment (if presented at the trial) and will dismiss the ticket. If the Trooper amends the citation prior to the trial, then you are SOL.

Anyway, the statute (not ordinance) that requires a 3/10 mile clock is Title 75, Section 3368(a):

§ 3368. Speed timing devices.
(a) Speedometers authorized.--The rate of speed of any vehicle may be timed on any highway by a police officer using a motor vehicle equipped with a speedometer. In ascertaining the speed of a vehicle by the use of a speedometer, the speed shall be timed for a distance of not less than three-tenths of a mile.

You can find the vehicle code online at: http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/75.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">