• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil lawsuit regarding money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lakeone

What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex mother in law is suing me for $13,000. Her son and I borrowed it while we were married. We are now divorced. During the divorce proceedings, the judge decided that I would pay my father (we had borrowed from him also) and my ex husband would pay his mother. The amount I owed to my father is listed on the decree, the amounts owed to his mother are not listed at all. The cost to get the transcripts will be over $1,000. Is it worth getting them? If I get them and it says that the judge said he is supposed to pay - will this ensure that I have not wasted the $1000 - can another judge still make me pay her? What else can I do? It has been 3 years and she is doing it just to harrass me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lakeone said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex mother in law is suing me for $13,000. Her son and I borrowed it while we were married. We are now divorced. During the divorce proceedings, the judge decided that I would pay my father (we had borrowed from him also) and my ex husband would pay his mother. The amount I owed to my father is listed on the decree, the amounts owed to his mother are not listed at all. The cost to get the transcripts will be over $1,000. Is it worth getting them? If I get them and it says that the judge said he is supposed to pay - will this ensure that I have not wasted the $1000 - can another judge still make me pay her? What else can I do? It has been 3 years and she is doing it just to harrass me.

My response:

Are you thinking that your ex-mother-in-law is somehow required to abide by, and is held to, the terms and conditions of your decree?

She's not a party to your decree. Her contract with you, is separate from your decree. The judge had no jurisdiction to decide your ex-mother-in-law's rights, and she is free to sue whomever she feels has a legal liability owing to her.

You, on the other hand, may file a Cross-Complaint against your ex-husband based upon the agreement in your divorce decree.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">