• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement By Default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hopewell

What is the name of your state? California

I owe a collection agency approximately $1400. Yes, I let it go too long and got myself in a bad situation.

This is what I got in the mail:
Judgement by Default
In this action the defendant (me) having been regularly served with process, and having failed to appear and answer the plantiff complain filed herein, no answer or demurrer having been filed with the Clerk of said court within the time specified in the summos or within such further time as has been granted, and the legal time for answering have expired, upon application of plantiff to the Clerk of said court the defalt of said defendant (me) has been entered and judgment is hereby entered against said defendant pursuant to the prayer of said complaint. Wherefore, it is ordered, adjudge and decreed that plantiff does have and recover from defendant ... then it lists the costs amounting over $2000.
What is going to happen now? Obviously I can decifer that I missed my court date that I thought was in April and obviously I didn't file something I should have filed. Will they garnish my wages?

stephenk

they will obtain a writ of garnishment and serve it on your employer to begin garnishing your wages.

why didnt you file an answer to the complaint they served upon you?

H

hopewell

For some reason I am having difficulty posting. So let me apologize in advance if you get my reply more than once.

I did not understand the initial paperwork I got, I could not afford a lawyer, I did not know about this forum until today, once I did figure out I needed to file a form it was too late, it was past the 30 days. Now I guess I just wait for the axe to fall.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">