• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicapped Parking Sign Posting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flatheadv8

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I recieved a ticket for $100 for parking in a Handicapped desinated parking spot. I am curious about the proper posting of a Handicapped Parking Spot.

The spot I parked in did not have anything painted on the ground to indicate that it was special. I think I've discovered that the lines and the wheelchair symbol on the ground are optional markers, so I'm not disputing that.

The sign that marked the spot was a legal sign as well, however it was not standing up because the post was bent over and I did not see it. I think I can dispute this with a picture.

My actual question is about the fine. I've seen several Handicapped Postings where the fine is posted along with the wheelchair symbol. Isn't that the way they are supposed to be displayed? I thought I saw on a news show once that a properly marked spot had the fine amount posted.

I am just looking for an added arguement if I get stuck paying it.

Thanks.

O

oberauerdorf

Pay the fine. It is incumbant on you to see the sign when you exit the vehicle, bent or not, and to act accordingly.

And count yourself lucky. I have been known to stand outside the local malls calling police on a cell phone to come and ticket each and every vehicle in a parking lot of more than 1,000 spaces when I find a vehicle parked in a handicapped zone without authorization.

It makes for a busy court date, but I have time to kill.

HomeGuru

flatheadv8 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I recieved a ticket for $100 for parking in a Handicapped desinated parking spot. I am curious about the proper posting of a Handicapped Parking Spot.

The spot I parked in did not have anything painted on the ground to indicate that it was special. I think I've discovered that the lines and the wheelchair symbol on the ground are optional markers, so I'm not disputing that.

The sign that marked the spot was a legal sign as well, however it was not standing up because the post was bent over and I did not see it. I think I can dispute this with a picture.

My actual question is about the fine. I've seen several Handicapped Postings where the fine is posted along with the wheelchair symbol. Isn't that the way they are supposed to be displayed? I thought I saw on a news show once that a properly marked spot had the fine amount posted.

I am just looking for an added arguement if I get stuck paying it.

Thanks.
**A: you do qualify as a handicap. Pay the fine. And next time use your brains.

tigger22472

oberauerdorf said:
And count yourself lucky. I have been known to stand outside the local malls calling police on a cell phone to come and ticket each and every vehicle in a parking lot of more than 1,000 spaces when I find a vehicle parked in a handicapped zone without authorization.
It makes for a busy court date, but I have time to kill.
Good for you OBI !! My husband laughs at me every time we go to the store. Well, at least he used to.. now he's just used to me looking at all the cars that are parked in the handicap spots especially if they are all full and I can't get one! I have a handicap lisence plate on my car due to my husband and if I wanted to play it off when he's not with me I could get away with it but I don't because those places are reserved for actual handicap people and it just burns my to see someone park there that shouldn't. It's even worse when they are ticketed and looking for an excuse to get out of it... UM... HELLO.. common sense says to look when you park especially close to a store to see if it's a handicap spot... UGH!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

In Los Angeles the "base fine" for illegally parking in a handicap spot is $275.00. Then, when you go to court, you get a real WAKE UP call when you find out that the California Government Code allows the court to increase the fine by 170%. Yes, that's right, that was not a typo - - "administration fees" are added at the rate of 170%.

So, when you add up the "base fine" to the "administrative fines" that are tacked on, you get a TOTAL FINE of $742.50!!

So, with your $100.00 fine, you're getting away lucky.

IAAL

F

flatheadv8

I was hoping for legal help not putdowns.

I obviously did not give enough information in my posting.

I have never parked in a handicapped zone before, much less get a ticket for it. My parents are handicapped and I would never want to see them have to try to negotiate the full length of a parking lot for a loaf of bread.

The place I parked was in front of an apartment building. This was a private lot and there was a clearly marked handicapped parking spot that was actually two spots away from where I parked. I have never seen a regular parking spot between two handicapped spots in my life, although I do recognize that such a situation can occur and I failed to watch for it.

The fact remains that the spot I was parked in was not properly marked and that burden belongs to the private lot owner.

All I was looking for was to know exactly how the spot should be marked?

Thanks for your time and opinions.

flatheadv8.

F

flatheadv8

Guess I shouldn't have expected too much for free.

Geez, I was just asking for advice and all I got was put-downs and BS.

People do stupid things everyday and I am one of them, but I thought the gist of this site was to help people make the most legally of their situation.

I did a bad thing, but I'm not sure it was all my fault. That's why I came here for help.

I apologize if I wasted anyone's time.

Thank you,

flatheadv8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">