• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Points System

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SetiQueue

What is the name of your state? Florida

What action can I take on the following issue?

I was just informed my license is going to be suspended as I have recieved 18 points in 18 months (Based on the conviction date - The date I paid the tickets). From what I read in the D/L handbook the suspensions are based on the offense date.

Handbook: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/ch_202.html

QUOTE - In computing points and suspensions, the OFFENSE dates of all convictions are used.

When I contacted the DMV (Spoke with a supervisor) they stated that it was based on the conviction date.

What action can I take to get this resolved legally, I just got my full license back after having it revoked for 5 years (I did have a hardship license) and I would like to keep it from being suspended again for another 3 months.

Here are the dates of the offences to give an overview of the issue:
Item - Offense Date - Conv. Date - Points
#1. - 12/03/01 - 02/13/04 - 4
#2. - 03-13-02 - 09-17-02 - 3
#3. - 03-18-02 - 04-19-02 - 4
#4. - 02-13-03 - 02-13-04 - 3
#5. - 03-02-03 - 02-13-04 - 4

And last but not least, A ticket was entered by mistake two seperate times on my drivers license record. The clerk of court cannot correct this issue as they mistakenly entered it as paid and then modified it to disposed. Should I be worried about this as it was a careless driving ticket. Or should I persue getting this removed from my record? What steps should I take in addition to working with the clerk of court?

Thank you for your assistance in advance. If you need any additional information please feel free to post here, PM or E-mail me.

Last edited:

R

Ramoth

MAybe it's just me.

Your earliest offense was 12/3/01. Your latest was 3/2/03. That's one day less than 15 months, which is well within the 18 points in 18 months limits.

Either way you're taking the bus.

SetiQueue

Ramoth said:
MAybe it's just me.

Your earliest offense was 12/3/01. Your latest was 3/2/03. That's one day less than 15 months, which is well within the 18 points in 18 months limits.

Either way you're taking the bus.
You should recheck your math:
12/03/01 - 12/03/02 = 12 months
12/03/02 - 12/03/03 = 12 months
12/03/03 - 03/02/03 = 3 months (1 day less)

12 + 12 + 3 = 27 months.

[edit]Also, the format is Month/Date/Year I just realized that may have confused some people.[/edit]

Last edited:

SetiQueue

HomeGuru said:
Regardless, stay off the damn roads.
Thanks for the professional response .:rolleyes:. Its nice to see that when people come to look for advice that you decide to flame them. I have paid for my mistakes in the past via fines or jail time, I don't see why I should be punished again for something I did not do.

The D/L handbook states one thing, yet they are suspending my license based on something that differs from that same handbook.

If anyone else could kindly post a professional response it would be appreciated, for those who would like to take the path that HomeGuru has please keep the comments to yourself.

R

Ramoth

CHeck your post again. You've apparently gotten the years wrong on your last offense. My math is better than your calendar.

Regardless, the handbook says one thing, the courts say another. Guess which one the judge is going to follow? You're still taking the bus.

Last edited:

SetiQueue

HomeGuru said:
**A: That's great [Removed]. Look at your record again. That's not a normal record. Stay off the roads.
I know its not a normal record...Multiple Speeding Tickets, Seat Belt Violations and Driving on a suspended license. But once again, that was in the past and I have paid my fines, Done the jail time, or have went without a license. This time the suspension is not justified and I am seeking professional advice on how to correct it.

Since you are the most vocal, please point to a source where it states the point system is based on the conviction date (Date I paid the ticket) instead of the source that I have found in the D/L handbook that states that the Offense Date is used.

You are under the assumption that no one can correct thier actions from the past. If you look at my record again, the majority of those violations happened when I was 18 or younger. In addition to that there is one violation on 03/13/03 that is not supposed to be there (Duplicate Careless Driving, take a look at the ticket #)

Last edited:
T

TwoWheels

Have you used up your 5 chances of going to driving school? I live in FL and we get up to 5 times (in your lifetime) to go to driving school to keep points off your license.

SetiQueue

TwoWheels said:
Have you used up your 5 chances of going to driving school? I live in FL and we get up to 5 times (in your lifetime) to go to driving school to keep points off your license.
No I haven't. but the fines have already been paid so I can't go back and change them.

But my license shouldn't be suspended for points in the 1st place though, thats why I was asking for advice on how to correct it through the DMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">