• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident w/fatality, license suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suet

What is the name of your state? Florida

Ok, not sure where else to turn, and can't afford a lawyer. I will try to keep this as brief as possible. My husband was involved in an accident 2 years ago, he was not charged or at fault. An suv came into his lane, long story short driver of the suv died in the accident. He was at fault for accident.
Thursday my husband was pulled over for going 5 miles over limit and was arrested because apparently there was an outstanding warrant from the county where the accident occured. They are saying his license was suspended at the time of the accident (unpaid ticket), but he wasn't arrested that day, was never told it was suspended, and the license is valid now.
Anyway, his bond was $250. He now has a court date in a few weeks. The charge is something like driving w/ susp lic, accident with fatality.
Since he was not at fault for the accident, was not notified of suspension, was not arrested day of accident for suspension, and license is valid now, how serious is this? Are we talking just fines or could it be worse? We have an 8 week old baby and we are just terrified. If we had known he had a warrant, we would have taken care of this long ago.

JETX

"how serious is this?"
*** Depending on a review of the FULL facts, it could be REAL serious. Clearly, the facts (ticket issued, fault, etc.) are different than what you believe.

"Are we talking just fines or could it be worse?"
*** Could range anywhere from a fine for the ticket to and including loss of license, to possible incarceration. Clearly something that should NOT be ignored. He should be contacting the court IMMEDIATELY to get the facts.

lwpat

If I read your post correctly your husband had received a ticket prior to the accident which he never paid. As a result his license was suspended. Unless he has paid the ticket and reinstated his license it is still suspended.

He needs to go down to the DMV in person and obtain a copy of his MVR. It should list the unpaid ticket and the court. Take care of that first. Then appear in court on the suspension and explain it to the judge. Since he was not at fault in the accident it is a only a driving while suspended charge but it could result in his license being suspended again.

HomeGuru

suet said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Ok, not sure where else to turn, and can't afford a lawyer. I will try to keep this as brief as possible. My husband was involved in an accident 2 years ago, he was not charged or at fault. An suv came into his lane, long story short driver of the suv died in the accident. He was at fault for accident.
Thursday my husband was pulled over for going 5 miles over limit and was arrested because apparently there was an outstanding warrant from the county where the accident occured. They are saying his license was suspended at the time of the accident (unpaid ticket), but he wasn't arrested that day, was never told it was suspended, and the license is valid now.
Anyway, his bond was $250. He now has a court date in a few weeks. The charge is something like driving w/ susp lic, accident with fatality.
Since he was not at fault for the accident, was not notified of suspension, was not arrested day of accident for suspension, and license is valid now, how serious is this? Are we talking just fines or could it be worse? We have an 8 week old baby and we are just terrified. If we had known he had a warrant, we would have taken care of this long ago.
**A: hire an attorney to clear things up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">