• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not cashing company checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twcable

What is the name of your state? WI

I am a member in an LLC in which the other member recently resigned leaving me as the only remaining member. He has not cashed his final draw check from 2003 as of yet. What are the legal ramifications in not cashing this check? There are other issues, but I am just curious as to why he wouldn't cash this check.

Thanks in advance.

JETX

Obviously no one on this forum can GUESS why he hasn't cashed the check. I would suggest that if you really want to know.... contact him.

And unless noted otherwise, the check is good for 6 months from the date of issuance, so you have to wait at LEAST that long.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
Obviously no one on this forum can GUESS why he hasn't cashed the check.

======================================

My response:

I beg to differ with you JetX. I have the distinct, and unique, ability to "guess" the answer. The problem, however, is "guessing" which one is correct.

IAAL

JETX

Ah, my friend, but then you would be guessing 'reasons' why he might not be cashing them..... not THE 'reason'. :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
Ah, my friend, but then you would be guessing 'reasons' why he might not be cashing them..... not THE 'reason'. :D

My response:

Ah, Grasshopper, once again, I find error in your reasoning. You see, if I "guess" enough, one of my "guesses" is bound to be the correct "guess". All I would need is the writer's "confirmation".

It's a little like having 1000 monkeys in a room full of typwriters. Eventually, we're bound to read "War & Peace".

IAAL

T

twcable

i have asked him why with no response. i believe he has taken proprietary company information and has been planning to market this outside of the company prior to his resignation.

i personally believe he is either guilty or just plain stupid or maybe both. i was just wondering if there is some law or statute out there that says that since he is not accepting funds from the company, he is okay. just wondering if there is some loophole he can use.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

twcable said:
i have asked him why with no response. i believe he has taken proprietary company information and has been planning to market this outside of the company prior to his resignation.

i personally believe he is either guilty or just plain stupid or maybe both. i was just wondering if there is some law or statute out there that says that since he is not accepting funds from the company, he is okay. just wondering if there is some loophole he can use.

My response:

This is just a "guess". However right or wrong, he may be thinking that if he cashes the check, he waives his right to file a lawsuit against the company.

Once the check goes "stale", you have no responsibility to re-issue a check.

There are too many "maybe", "but's" and "perhaps" to give you any better responses.

IAAL

T

twcable

that's in line with what i was thinking. the company checks state that they are void after 90 days which is 3/31/04. should i place a cancel payment on this in case the bank where he would cash it let's it go?

R

Ramoth

Since the bank is NOT required to honor that "90 Day" thingie, yes, you should place a stop payment on the check as soon as the 90 days has expired.

O

oberauerdorf

It's a little like having 1000 monkeys in a room full of typwriters. Eventually, we're bound to read "War & Peace".
Ah, but would the monkeys use spellchecker.

:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">